Dueling and other diferences abroad
OK, so we have next difference in playing D1 in different countries :D
In Poland we used to call "PK's" players who kill others. No matter if they do it in duels, or they PK others in the original meaning of this word :D Anyway, 'PK' sounds better than 'Dueler', at least for me :D But if you were confused by this term, I'll change it.
Proud Member and Councillor of Immortal Brotherhood Clan
"Noone will ever know our names..."
Disaster(IB),Sep 14 2003, 02:43 PM Wrote:PK Clan, in this case, means, that members of it play to kill other players.
Aye, that's generally what Player Killer means.

Now compare this statement:
Disaster(IB),Sep 14 2003, 02:43 PM Wrote:But we don't kill them when they don't expect it
to this one
Disaster(IB),Sep 14 2003, 02:43 PM Wrote:Of course, I don't mean we never PK other people when they are unprepared
See a contradiction forming?

Granted, there were smileys, but from my public game experiences, some (if not most) "duelists" come into a game, ask the players for a duel and after not getting an answer they want, quickly become PKs, so forgive my distrustful and mayhaps aggressive disposition.

Also, how much time do you spend doing Wirt runs? Or do you have a magic Wirt shopper? I'm pretty sure those strange/hastes are not that common.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
It works a little bit different :D
We don't duel in public games, because there are very few of those now in Europe. We arrange duels on Diablo POL-1 channel [or sometimes on foreign channels]. Killing other players in public games is very rare incident lately - you simply got bored with that, because people who play in open games are usually [not always :D ] easy targets, who can't self-defend in legit ways :D They either exit games, or if they cheat, kill with AK or just by one hit :D

And duelling stuff... Huh, getting a good sword [Strange/Haste is the most popular due to our duelling system&rules] can take you lots of hours spend on Wirt-runs :D But actually there are some items which are harder to get - Gold/Heavens Rings, Awesome/Tiger or Lion Plate for a Warrior, and actually the most difficult item to get for a Sorceror is a shield [preferably Crimson/Garnet Shield of Brilliance with under 45 str req]. So, due to big rarity of these items, I have to say that, many Polish players use the same stuff.....
But from my point of view - as a dueler - items and then oirgin are not really important. I know it may sound unacceptable to you, but if both players have the same or similar config, the chances are more even, and the most important thing are their skills. So then the winner is a player, who simply plays better :D
It's kinda different if you play coops and you want to have fun from them. But when you play the game very long, reached high lvl and get bored of coops, [like most of Polish players who play D1 for some time], you want to duel at possibly high level. So it is important how good are your skills, not your equipment.
Proud Member and Councillor of Immortal Brotherhood Clan
"Noone will ever know our names..."
When I get bored of my normal characters, I play some ironman or a variant. I have never considered dueling.

As for players exiting the game at a PK attempt: the PK is usually built to kill players (obviously) and has twinked (if not cheated) equipment so your regular legit co-oper has little chance against him. So the PK shouldn't overinflate his ego if his target takes the easy way out. IMHO PKs are usually not worth dealing with and their sole purpose in Diablo is to ruin other people's games. And that's been said so many times that I feel a bit silly repeating it.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Quote:OK, so we have next difference in playing D1 in different countries
In Poland we used to call "PK's" players who kill others. No matter if they do it in duels, or they PK others in the original meaning of this word.

The "You're a PK if you kill anybody" definition of "PK" is much more common among newer players, younger players, and those on public Bnet. To this group, if you kill someone for being a jackass you're a "PK." If you regularly go out and butcher people just for fun, you're a "PK." If you duel, you're a "PK." Some even take it so far to brand people "PK" if they kill someone who attacks them. The term is very vague and doesn't differentiate the types of killing.

But vague terms aren't useful. So, they're replaced with more specific terms.

Among more veteran players, the term "Player Killer" carries a much more specific meaning, usually referring to the serial-killer personality type. To them, a dueler is a dueler. Killing someone who attacks you carries no stigma. Killing someone for being a jackass tells others you don't abide whatever behavior the jackass was engaged in. People who routinely: kill other players using a trainer's autokill are Autokillers (AK); use monsters to entrap players and make them lose their items are Monster Killers (MK); do it the old fashioned way, without an agreement to duel, are just PKs.

In sum, as players become more experienced with the game they develop specific jargon for different game elements. As such, I believe your group's use of "PK" in the sense of the first paragraph is more due to a large crowd of new players than due to them being Polish. Though, to some extent, who you interact with influences what your jargon is. The more you interact with us, the more you may find yourself using more "international" Diablo jargon -- we've certainly had plenty of time to come up with names for things.

As I said before in this thread: Anywhere around the globe, it's all the same game. It's the known information that varies.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
whoops, this post is a "accidental click" ;p please delete it
--

kEMpEs(A)

ex: GbS, SR, KGB, EPI
CzeϾ [=Hello ;p] Dis ;)

Quote:The "You're a PK if you kill anybody" definition of "PK" is much more common among newer players, younger players

For me a "PK" is a person who enters a public game and kills the coopers and someone who plays duel is a dueler ;) but Disaster is right. Most people in Poland use "PK" when talking about duelers. I think it's like that because it sounds better "We are a PK clan" than "We are a clan that plays duels" and it's shorter too ;)
And for sure it doesn't depend on how "new" you are. Proof? The oldest polish d1 clan - Dream Masters (7.IX.1998) has also got a line "We are a PK clan" (or sth like that) on their website.

Now, something more about dueling stuff. Although as far as i know mage stuff doesn't vary much form player to player, the warrior one does. Here is a list of the combinations on the ideal WvW stuff (for playing without elemental dmg.)

Helm: Godly Helm of the Whale / Gotterdamerung / Royal Circlet / sometimes Overlord's Helm
Armor: Awesome Plate of the Lion/of Perfection/of Giants/of the Stars / Plate of the Whale
Weapon: Strange Sword of Haste / King's Sword of Haste (depends on the opponent's AC) / Strange Sword of Slaughter
Shield: Holy Shield of the Tiger
Rings and amulets: Gold [Ring/Amu] of Heavens/of Perfection/of Titans/of Life/of Tiger / any [Ring/Amu] of the Zodiac (if your CTH is very high)

I think this is a quite big variation ;p don't you?
--

kEMpEs(A)

ex: GbS, SR, KGB, EPI
Quote:And for sure it doesn't depend on how "new" you are.

A newbie wouldn't know to differentiate between Duelist, AK, MK, PK. They don't know the jargon. But as they learn new terms, they're more likely to use them. That a duelist clan disregards other terms for PK=Duelist doesn't change this.

Quote:Here is a list of the combinations on the ideal WvW stuff

Helm: Godly Helm of the Whale / Gotterdamerung / Royal Circlet / sometimes Overlord's Helm

Are you listing what's commonly used or what's truly ideal? Overlord's Helm is fairly junky compared to the others.

Quote:... of the Whale

You've seen players duel with a crap AC whale armor?

Quote:Weapon: Strange Sword of Slaughter

How does slaughter qualify as ideal?

Quote:I think this is a quite big variation ;p don't you?

Look at the constants: High AC, Haste, High ToHit, probably Good Blocking. These effects, probably necessary for the most part, don't allow for too much variation. How different players achieve these effects may vary somewhat, but the gear's all in the same boat. That's why I don't consider there to be much variation: the end result doesn't seem significantly affected.

Actually, I'm surprised you didn't take into account LAW setups for Mage-killing.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]