2h Grandfather or Duel Wield
Just got my 2nd Grandfather today, and I wanted to know if it was best just using it 2handed or should I duel wield them? Please help. Thank you.
GF has +max damage, which is usually better for 1h weapons. I believe you'll get better results by dual-yielding them. From your question, I take it you use whirlwind too, so use ias+something jewels or Shaels.
Ahhh thanks for the reply. Yeah, I do use WW. :D
sometimes however, a shield like a SS would be great for blocking and such. I see many more barbarians out there with a sword and shield instead of dual wield swords. But Since you have 2 gf's, either one is a good choice.
Personal experience speaking here. Just use one: using two GFs is a waste of potential speed, and if you must dual-wield swords, then combine it with a LS or a mythical sword with around 45% IAS (I think...it's been awhile). Don't even bother with a shield, just use your biggest GF. If you've been working on your damage and leech, then one whirl will basically leech back all the damage you would've taken during your spin.
Not exatcly, with a shield, say with max blocking, he could still do a whole bunch of damage and a sword like LS would bring down the attack. The shield would also protect him from a lot although he is a barbarian and already has a whole buncha life as well as BO (i think that is it). With Iron Skin and Nat. resists, he could go without one. In the end, it depends on skill allocation and, of course, the player's opinion.
See, you've somewhat answered your own objection: if a barb has enough life, damage and resists (of all kinds), he can definitely go without a shield. For instance, I went for a titan barb (100 vit base, min needed to use a GF or BK set with items, and everything else into strength), and with maxxed BO, WM, and WW, he works out just fine. With his damage and high leech, there's very little that can bring him down.

Also, I believe that if a two-handed sword has a range of 3, it's shortened to 2 or so when held with one hand.

But yes, in the end, it's all up to the player's taste.
Hehe, i meant to do that! ;)
If I recall correctly, two-handed swords do not have their range shortened for 1h WW. Also, I remember that dual-wielding weapons gives you 150% WW hits. So just multiply your GF damage by 1.5, and if it exceeds your two-handed damage, then you dual-wield.