Question on critical/deadly strike
I'm trying to find out if the chances from critical plus/or deadly strike, which sums up in physical damage, do the same with elemental and/or magic attacks.

Also, is there a maximum amount?
[Image: 37671-NicatorSig0326.jpg]

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
The Arreat Summit gives some information on this. I'm not sure how much of this is correct.

AFAIK, there is no limit, so you could theoreticly get 100% CS or DS. They do exclude each other however, so you will never get 4x damage. Magical/elemental damage types aren't effected by CS/DS, only physical damage is.

Edit: Corrected: attack = damage type
Critical strikes that players do affect only the physical aspect of an attack, after all other damage calculations.
Heiho,

I've heard a rumor, that it is not the same in 1.10s as in 1.09.
But it is not clear, if the Chance of DS is bugged (like the CB chance), or if the formula has changed relating DS and CS combined, or if the - IMHO trustworthy - amazon tester just messed something up with his scenario. And so far AFAIK it is just one person who brought this up.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
adeyke,Sep 30 2003, 08:05 PM Wrote:Critical strikes that players do affect only the physical aspect of an attack, after all other damage calculations.
Actually an overly literal reading of your use of the word "all" here suggests the following interesting question: vis a vis Ruvanal's discovery of the over 100% immunities psuedo-healing, could CS/DS actually add in damage that mattered in full, even though otherwise the physical damage is being overwhelmed by the psuedo-healing effect of the elemental adder(s)?

If I had the current damage code in front of me, as with when Jarulf posted parts of it long ago, it would be obvious how "all" should be interpreted. Just a thought (I have seen my heavily enchanted rogue hireling kill a fire immune, but I have no idea what the numbers were, so this might be an indication, or totally irrelevant--clearly testing could answer the question as opposed to just code reading).
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
I remember to have read that all elemental attacks, even in monsters, have a critical strike chance. I just can't remember the chances (20%?).

As 1.10s has so many differences from 1.09, I was wondering that after looking different damage reports (where a double damage was a reasonable explanation) in a PI being attacked by a 1.10s Mavina's zon (cold, magic and nova).
[Image: 37671-NicatorSig0326.jpg]

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Heiho,

the chance of monsters for doing a Critical Strike is always 5%, the term 'monsters' includes all kind of pets here (IIRC no hirelings). Only here the CS chance is applied to _all_ attacks, physical and elemental. A player character doesn't have a randomly or percentage chance for doubling his/her elemental damage.

AFAIK this has not changed in 1.10
so long ...
librarian

Diablo II FAQtoids
adeyke,Sep 30 2003, 08:05 PM Wrote:Critical strikes that players do affect only the physical aspect of an attack, after all other damage calculations.
Mmm does that mean that the way Berserk handles CS/DS has changed? AFAIK in 1.09 critical strike applied to Berserk, since the damage was converted to magical after the critical strike and all attack damage was calculated.

What about the many skills that convert a percent of the attack damage into some type of element damage (Fire Arrow, Dragon Tail, Lightning Bolt, etc) - is only the physical part affected by critical strike, or perhaps the elemental damage is calculated after the critical strike is applied?
librarian,Sep 30 2003, 11:50 PM Wrote:the chance of monsters for doing a Critical Strike is always 5%, the term 'monsters' includes all kind of pets here (IIRC no hirelings). Only here the CS chance is applied to _all_ attacks, physical and elemental. A player character doesn't have a randomly or percentage chance for doubling his/her elemental damage.

AFAIK this has not changed in 1.10
There is a minor change in 1.10 in that the critical hit chance for the monsters is now listed in the monstats.txt file (making the modding of it very easy :) ). The values there in 1.10 ar either 0% or 5%.

For the mercs the a1, a2 and a3 mercs have a 0% crit chance and the act 5 mercs have a 5% chance. I know that in v1.09 the act 5 mercs were getting the critical hits (watched the sparks on many occasions) and the for them it also applied to their elemental damage (from some testing that I did). IIRC, I had seen the critical hit spark also on the a1 mercs in 1.09, I do not recall about the other two though.
Heiho,

unfortunately I can't rely on my video graphics with some effects. I never ever saw the CS/DS animation, even with maxed CS or high DS chance (according to the mastery bug my one and only barb _should_ show the animation all of the time he hits something, so should many of my ranged attackers), and it is just a couple of weeks ago I got the information that Crushing Blow has an animation of its own, and I never saw that, too :-(
so long ...
librarian

Diablo II FAQtoids
I haven't even downloaded 1.10 yet, so can't check, although it should be trivial. However, lets clear up a thing. It is not an issue of attack "type". There is only one attack type (well for the purpose of this discussion). There is no "physical attack type" or "elemental attack type". There is simply an attack and the attack is composed of damage of various sorts. The damage calcs keep each damage type seperate until the very end where it adds them up for a final total damage so to speak. The critical hit/deadly strike works(or at least worked up to 1.09) on the part that was physical ONLY. For the purpose of Berserk, the damage was still in physical type at that point. Only later in the process of damage was the physical damage transformed into magical one.

The "after all" and meaning of all would be irelevant in that it applies after all additivie modifications. That is, it was a simply multiplicative addition to the current physical damage and all later modifications are of the same nature and hence the specific order of those are not important excpet from a academic point of view. The actual location in the damage code was changed in 1.08 or 1.09 and put slightly earlier than other modifications, but the end result is the same. As for the bug of Ruvanal, I am not familiar with it, nor can I comment on it. Seems more like an issue of the "resistance and damage modification code) than actual code that calcs the attack damage. The resistance code is for sure treated AFTER the damaga calc code for obvious reasons.

Please note that monster critical hit is a completely different issue and use special code specific for monsters and as allready said, applies to non physical damage too.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.