Freedom!
Lately I felt trapped in my own house, the feeling has grown so strong I just couldn't handle it and decided for the first time in my life to go for a walk.

This was yesterday on around 9 pm.

In that walk I realized how much I was missing, being strangled inside my house, I never left home for no reason, never realized the power, and beauty, of simply walking with no destination at the end, I was amazed how the hell I never saw it before but now, after learning this very important lesson I will not let it be forgotten, I've started a habit to make nightly tours in my little city (Not much of a city person, I would've liked to live more in the middle of nowhere) and even so early I feel how much it changed my life.

I was dying and I never knew it until yesterday, now I am alive, and free!
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Wanderlust. It happens. It also happens to keep us alive.

Try getting stuck in the High Desert of southern California for ten years, with nothing but dust and brush and desert wind to grace your sight in all that time. And then one day, without purpose or plan, just break out the car and head for the closest point of sea. From the browns and tans of the Antelope Valley to the black-pebbled beach and backlight marine cover of Dana Point. The last time I had seen ocean water until then was a whale-watch in the 5th grade, and this from a kid who spent his childhood beach trips at Tarague on the north coast of Guam. It was good to be back.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
In fact, that's why I want a license now, I wasn't rushing to get a license but now I must have it in order to not be bounded to the strings of my legs and public transportation.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TaiDaishar,Oct 16 2003, 04:06 PM Wrote:Lately I felt trapped in my own house, the feeling has grown so strong I just couldn't handle it and decided for the first time in my life to go for a walk.
Hi

I am boggled at your assertion that you have never just 'gone for a walk' before.

I cannot remember a time when I didn't get out of my home for a stroll around outside for head-clearing and fun. As a child, I was encouraged to do this good thing (with reasonable and ever-expanding boundaries set by my parents). Of course, I always pushed those boundaries to explore just a wee bit further. ;)

May you always find a way to just 'go for a walk' with no specific purpose other than to observe the world around you and enjoy the 'time-out'. Sometimes company is a good thing for this mental exercise and sometimes it is best done alone.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Quote:I cannot remember a time when I didn't get out of my home for a stroll around outside for head-clearing and fun. As a child, I was encouraged to do this good thing (with reasonable and ever-expanding boundaries set by my parents). Of course, I always pushed those boundaries to explore just a wee bit further. 

Well, I never had such childhood and even though it amazes you I honestly said I never ever just went for a stroll to clear my mind, I never even thought of it before yesterday.
.... if you had no destination , how'd ya get back to the computer ? :blink: ;)

Walking at night time always seems to add a neat surreal quality to your surroundings .
Time to get new sneakers , and start that walking as well - just in time for the snow !
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
ShadowHM,Oct 17 2003, 12:49 AM Wrote:As a child, I was encouraged to do this good thing (with reasonable and ever-expanding boundaries set by my parents).
Heh, what a contrast. The only reason my mom didn't tie me up to make 100% positively sure I didn't leave the house is that I was better with knots than she is :lol:
I learned a lot at this school. :o

One of the tales my mother tells is one where, at the age of about 3 she let me out into the fenced back yard and tended to my baby sister for a bit. I promptly upended the sandbox pail and used it to climb over the fence and explore. She was only alerted to my absence by the screams for help I emitted when I was high-tailing it for the fence, chased by a dog, and realized that the sandbox pail was on the wrong side!

Truth to tell, though, I only very slowly came to realize what a charmed and lucky upbringing I had. Charmed because my parents let me explore and find out consequences for myself, and lucky because of the location for doing it and that none of the consequences proved fatal or permanent. I suffered from two of the classic three i's of teenage years (I was immortal and infallible but I was pretty sure I would not be infertile, based on the experiences of some of my acquaintances. This was in the days before AIDS, so I didn't get the 'You might die!' story that most of you have likely heard.)
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

ShadowHM,Oct 17 2003, 09:31 AM Wrote:(I was immortal and infallible but I was pretty sure I would not be infertile, based on the experiences of some of my acquaintances.  This was in the days before AIDS, so I didn't get the 'You might die!' story that most of you have likely heard.)
/* makes notes on mental pad

Things to remind my kids of before they're old enough to think otherwise...*/

Thanks for the thought Shadow.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote:I suffered from two of the classic three i's of teenage years

There are I's in teenage? I never heard of any I's...
Old saying: Teenagers believe they are Infallible, Immortal and Infertile. :P
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

What an odd saying, do teenagers not bleed if stabbed?

P.S What the hell is Infertile doing in there? I kind of understand why the first 2 I's are there but the third...
... I think it's in there for he rampant promiscuity issue?

The "I'll never get her pregnant" thing, anyway.

This is the first I've heard of the Three Is, but I guess they fit. <_<
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
It was the case when I was a teenager (and it may not have changed much) that most teens needed or wanted to experience things themselves rather than believe anyone, and especially anyone in authority. So there are many misconceptions about fertility maybe due to a lack of sex education or of listening while it was being taught.

Anyway, many teens are wrong about what it takes to prevent pregnancy or AIDS for that matter.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

You leave a trail of free AOL signup CD's. :D
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

That's an excellent idea. I could go from California to New York and back :D
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
TaiDaishar,Oct 16 2003, 02:06 PM Wrote:Lately I felt trapped in my own house, the feeling has grown so strong I just couldn't handle it and decided for the first time in my life to go for a walk.

This was yesterday on around 9 pm.

In that walk I realized how much I was missing, being strangled inside my house, I never left home for no reason, never realized the power, and beauty, of simply walking with no destination at the end, I was amazed how the hell I never saw it before but now, after learning this very important lesson I will not let it be forgotten, I've started a habit to make nightly tours in my little city (Not much of a city person, I would've liked to live more in the middle of nowhere) and even so early I feel how much it changed my life.

I was dying and I never knew it until yesterday, now I am alive, and free!
:)

It happens to all of us now and then. Just take a break from it all now and then. Hey, I feel the same way right now. Should go afk now....
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Hi,

In my case it was five cents (or maybe ten, it's been a while) and the New York subway system. A ten year old in the mid 50's could see the world for half the price of a comic book. :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Oct 18 2003, 06:43 PM Wrote:In my case it was five cents (or maybe ten, it's been a while) and the New York subway system.&nbsp; A ten year old in the mid 50's could see the world for half the price of a comic book. :)
No offense Pete but I would rather live in the middle of the desert than in New York, or any other big city actually, even Israel's Tel Aviv is too much for me.
I've only visited, but New York City is an amazing place.