New Battle.net lobby
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/images/ot...other/lobby.jpg

Read it and weep.

"After logging on to Battle.net in Diablo II 1.10, players will now be placed into a waiting room. Once there, they can choose to create/join a game or enter a chat room and talk with other players, just like in Warcraft III. We have also added a news section with news items related to Diablo II."

Thoughts, please...

Edit: It would have been nice if they included a command line for it. For example above/below the Enter Chat/Help buttons you could input non-chat text. I've never liked using the "Channel" button in all of Bnet permutations, instead preferring the humble "/join" command.

Otherwise, I suppose it saves everyone from being assaulted by rows and rows of instantly-appearing spam whenever they log onto Battle.net.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
At this point in time I'd have prefered something that lets me autojoin a channel of my choosing rather than joining the channel belonging to a country taken from ones computer's LOCALE. This is purely so I can avoid seeing the 3438657542 spam bot barfage per second. I guess this is almost as good. Maybe I can change my locale setting from a little known country which has empty channels (unpatrolled by any bots) to the defaults again.

Regarding the lobby itself. It would be nice if you could reference their website (however inaccurate) sections from it about skills, items, monster etc.
I prefer the lobby set up, but agree that it would be nice to be able to default /join /create a particular channel.

I suppose it is "good enough" at this point, and consistent with a successful WC III practice.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I already learned to totally block the channel text from my mind, as I think most players have, so this doesn't really benefit me that much. I remember the first time I played WC3 the lobby thing threw me off for second. On another note, the extra graphics for the lobby seem a bit "forced". Maybe it's just because it's something different...
Yeah, that's a major problem for anyone who has to design GUIs for a living. You spend goddamn hours tweaking and pasting and Photoshopping and testing and swearing and tweaking and restoring from backups and more swearing and blowing up stuff... Then you wind up with a neat little interface that you are proud to call your own. You submit it, and leave it for... Ooh, three, four years.

And then the boss comes and says "Hey Chuck, slap some more bells and whistles on this thing will ya?" And you're essentially screwed, because you are no longer in the same state of mind as you were when you designed the thing in the first place. In other words, you have two options:

1) Press the delete button and start all over again.
2) Slap things on top of the current design. It may not look seamless, coherent, and nice, but it will get the job done in an eighth of the time.

Never design GUIs for a living kids... Unfortunately, that's where my university degree that I'm studying is seeming to be taking me. Crud...
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
the thing is, it's different from War3

The war3 system, you click 'join chat' and it allows you to pick your channel. With this system, you click 'join chat' and it bumps you straight into the same channel of spambots. It doesn't allow you to bypass such annoyances, just delay then.

Infact, I really see no point in the lobby, it doesn't help you avoid getting spammed to death nor does it tell you anything about your character that you couldn't find out from the character selection screen. It only benefits those who don't use channels but solely play the game.

my "dau ceiniog "

-Bob
It benefits you when you want to play instead of chat. It limits load times between games. You can now exit a game and create a new one, without having to load a channel full of spammers and see the spam. If you are going to play (which is why most people log onto battle.net) then it is convenient, if you want to chat then there is just 1 more button to push, doesn't seem that big of deal to me.

Allthough I do agree that there should be an option of channel to join when you hit "Enter Chat"
Some things about blizzard just makes you scratch your head, eh? I mean, they obviously understood the desire to not be automatically dumped amongst the bots. And yet... and yet... they disable every possible way to avoid those same bots except simply NOT joining the chat channels at all!

*shrugs* Reminds me of something Sirian said about potential. Yup. Blizzard had, and still has, tons of potential. 1.10 had (has?) so much potential. But hey, at least it's a step in the right direction. Right?

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Quote:Thoughts, please...

I usually play in public games with a friend. We look for high player count, low lvl games to power lvl in. If we find a good game, we'll be in there for hours, but usually we end up switching games every 30-60 minutes.

The big annoyance I've found with the lobby, is the lack of a command line. I would like to be able to check the name of the game my friend is in, right from the lobby. The lobby forces me to "go to chat", then type /f list.

Oh well.