A tidbit for the Germans in here
Fragbait,Nov 30 2005, 01:26 PM Wrote:Warrior => Krieger.
Sorcerer => Zauberer (just seems more appropriate than Hexer).

But what about the... Rogue => ???

It seems that, if translated literally, rogue means something along the lines of:
Schurke, Schalk, Schlingel; or, in another meaning: Landstreicher, Strauchdieb.

Now we know that in the Diablo™ story, rogues are archers from the order 'sisters of the sightless eye' (compare Diablo, Diablo II). How is that to be incorporated into the translation?
My best guess until I concerned myself with the word was: Bogenschützin, simply because that's what she does best (normally).
What I'm leaning towards at the moment is: Jägerin. That would come close to the translation I've heard in Diablo II, but yet we are speaking of Diablo classic.

I'm curious about your ideas.  It just occured to me that this might be adequate for the lounge also. Hm - maybe I'll post it there, too, in case this one doesn't return enough answers.

Greetings, Fragbait
[right][snapback]96025[/snapback][/right]

While Jagerin isn't bad, an alternate way to look at the meaning of the word "rogue" in Diablo I is to consider the word "adventurer" or "adventuress." The use of "rogue" in Advanced Dungeons and Dragons was an attempt to split the Thief class into assassins, acrobats, sneak thiefs, and other "use my wits rather than my strength" adventurers. That root led to usage of "rogue" in the RPG and MMORPG and CRPC settings.

In that sense, a rogue is, in a subtle connotation in English, someone who skirts the edge of the law, and operates on the edges of the settled world in search of adventure and riches. A treasure hunter.

So, if you use

Adventurer
Adventuress
or
Treasure Hunter

as the base English word, I think you will find a better German equivalent that will capture the essence of the Rogue.

To deflate that discussion, the Blizzard North team seems to have used Rogue in a very unconventional sense as a label, to attract the RPG folks, when the description of the Sisters of the Sightless Eye made them far more like Bow Wielding Monks for D & D. (Per your initial point.)

Of course, they were played more like Treasure Hunters and Adventurers, and since that is how the play evolved by the players of the game, I think you would be on the soundest footing to use those three words to find the right German descriptive term.

I hope that helps.

Occhidiangela, the Rogue with a Heart :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
A tidbit for the Germans in here - by Fragbait - 11-30-2005, 07:26 PM
A tidbit for the Germans in here - by Thecla - 12-01-2005, 01:10 AM
A tidbit for the Germans in here - by danifilth - 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM
A tidbit for the Germans in here - by Jarulf - 12-01-2005, 12:56 PM
A tidbit for the Germans in here - by Occhidiangela - 12-01-2005, 03:02 PM
A tidbit for the Germans in here - by Alram - 12-01-2005, 10:12 PM
A tidbit for the Germans in here - by Jarulf - 12-01-2005, 10:15 PM