+Hit and +Spell Hit for PvP?
Quote:Base chance to get a "white" resist* versus a level 70 mob/toon is 4%. There is always a 1% chance to get a white resist, so you want to grab 3% spell hit as quickly as you can. Note that spell penetraition has absolutely no effect on these "white" resists.

Base chance to miss an equal level mob/toon is 5% when you're not dual wielding. Unfortunately I have no idea if there is a cap on melee misses, but somewhere in the back of my head is the idea that there isn't. So I would be thinking of aiming for around 5% +hit.

On the same note, I'm not sure what the base miss chance is for special attacks while dual wielding. Is that still 5%?

* "White" resist is the common name. They are basically spell misses and affected by the +spell hit stat. They are called white resists because they used to be white in your combat log, where as resists that appeared yellow were due to the mob/player having resistance gear on. All resists are now the same colour in the combat log now.

edit: I did a quick search on wowwiki and found the following:

spell hit: http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Spell_hit_chance

melee +hit and +crit: http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Critical_hit_chance

I had read those wowwiki articles before I posted my original question. The Spell Hit one in particular is confusing and I did not agree with the analysis: for one thing, if Tseric the Druid is wandering around on the battlefield with 250 Nature Resistance, Tseric deserves to resist my Frost Shock.

When I went back and read the discussion page, I noticed I was not the only one who had a problem with the wowwiki topic. In PvP, of course, all the shocks have special uses. Earth Shock interrupts, Frost Shock slows a runner, Flame Shock applies a DoT. The consequences of a missed shock can be the mage gets off a Pyroblast, the flag carrier gets away, and the rogue vanishes. After running in WSG all weekend I noticed the classes that resist shocks the most were rogues and mages. For mages I assume because of their shields. Rogues on the other hand (nasty little rogues) have a talent, Heightened Senses that can reduce the chance to be hit with spells by 4% (or they may just like to use CoS). Unfortunately with Fortran's build, Nature's Guidance is not an option. She could rearrange her talents, drop Unleashed Rage and put two points in Elemental Precision. Unleashed Rage is such a nice talent, she would hate to give it up, but at least on a Basin thread I read, Elemental Precision is well thought of. Besides, in PvP there are not a lot of procs of Unleashed Rage anyhow.

She would then have a build that would look like this:

Enhancement/Elemental

Two points in Elemental Precision give +4% chance to hit with spells. With Inspiring Presence that makes 5. Inspiring Prescence would be even more inspiring if the effect showed up on the lying character sheet. Does anyone know for sure if it actually affects the character herself or just affects other players in the party? According to Blizzard's description it's supposed to, and I found a blue post that said the buf was being applied to the character all the time.

The Spell Strike enchant would probably then be overkill, although (as I understand it) it would reduce the miss rate against rogues from 3% to 2%.

Then there is the question Alliera raised about Spell Penetration. Is there consensus that the cloak enchant is sufficient? Does +1 penetration cancel 1 resist?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."

Messages In This Thread
+Hit and +Spell Hit for PvP? - by LavCat - 07-15-2007, 07:30 PM
+Hit and +Spell Hit for PvP? - by Taelas - 07-16-2007, 02:02 AM
+Hit and +Spell Hit for PvP? - by Legedi - 07-16-2007, 02:13 PM
+Hit and +Spell Hit for PvP? - by TheDragoon - 07-16-2007, 02:29 PM
+Hit and +Spell Hit for PvP? - by Delc - 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM
+Hit and +Spell Hit for PvP? - by Xame - 07-16-2007, 05:52 PM
+Hit and +Spell Hit for PvP? - by Taelas - 07-16-2007, 06:06 PM
+Hit and +Spell Hit for PvP? - by Watto44 - 07-17-2007, 01:18 AM
+Hit and +Spell Hit for PvP? - by LavCat - 07-17-2007, 10:58 PM
+Hit and +Spell Hit for PvP? - by oldmandennis - 07-18-2007, 12:04 AM