White Staves w/ No Spells
Quote:My char is currently a naked mage, but I've decided to equip him with a staff to increase the 'cool' factor. I found a white short staff of Heal Other and promptly dropped it to 0/0 charges, but I'd like to find one that JG refers to as "plain." DPsyche's Item Rarity finder doesn't offer this option, nor a Useless War Staff (which would be a nifty substitute).

JG states that plain white staves are available, but all the information I've seen mentions either a blue staff or one with a spell.

Without checking JG, I can tell you that plain white staves are very rare in my experience. As memory serves, when found they were typically generated by the dungeon itself -- on the floor in a room with other random treasure (especially in Church and Cats). I do believe the frequency is a good bit more common in Hellfire, and it's entirely possible that these whisps of memory are from there.

Section JG 3.8.2 lists the probability of an on-the-ground item being magical as 100%, but a footnote remarks "On the ground only refers to equipable items found, often in special rooms, in the dungeon. It is quite possible that the probability of those items being magical is less than 100% outside of Hell." This, in conjunction with this statement from the same section "Staves are always magical if they have no spell, see chapter 3.8.3 under Staff for more information." as well as a seemingly contradictory remark from 3.8.3 "Staves can either have a spell or be normal magical items (of course, they can also be plain staves but that is very rare)." leads me to suspect that, if nonspell plain white staves exist in D1, the place to look is treasure rooms in Church and Cats.

-Lem

Messages In This Thread
White Staves w/ No Spells - by .Plaid - 08-10-2007, 12:45 AM
White Staves w/ No Spells - by .Plaid - 08-13-2007, 05:10 AM
White Staves w/ No Spells - by LemmingofGlory - 08-13-2007, 07:33 AM
White Staves w/ No Spells - by .Plaid - 08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
White Staves w/ No Spells - by LemmingofGlory - 08-13-2007, 04:42 PM
White Staves w/ No Spells - by the Langolier - 08-16-2007, 11:42 PM
White Staves w/ No Spells - by GhastMaster - 08-17-2007, 05:57 AM
White Staves w/ No Spells - by .Plaid - 08-19-2007, 09:41 PM