The Auction House III: Evil is Back
(05-30-2012, 09:26 PM)Sirian Wrote: Diablo 3 is too much like D2 to get that much, unless Blizz learns basic math (finally) and fixes what they've done wrong here. But I will discuss that topic in another thread.

The #1 problem they're having with this is something I'm sure you've figured out, but it's simply inflation. D1 dealt with far smaller numbers than D2 and 3, and the smaller you keep numbers, the less gap there is between haves and have-nots, and the easier it is to balance things. When you start factoring in multipliers, triple digit % increases to things, and such, that's when the numbers add up to insanity.

I guess for Blizzard, bigger numbers are a selling point - or perhaps in a roundabout way, a "story" element of how our characters are progressively stronger than past generations. Now I've had some of D3's story explained to me (hopefully accurately, or this is going to make me look dumb), but apparently the Worldstone held the powers of the nephalim origins of humanity within it, and when shattered, humans started becoming stronger again, more on par with their angelic and demonic parents. If their main reason for going to yet larger numbers than D2 was to "show" this, then maybe in a sort of way, it would be a good move...if they could keep the math relative.

But I don't think they will. Just like D1 went from rarely having sources of damage (Fireball aside) in the four digit range, to D2 making it about equally rare to hit five digits (without massively duped gear), I expect we'll eventually see a 500K or million point hit build somewhere in D3, if perhaps not until an expansion. And then they're going to have to try to balance that against 30 other builds which can't do a fifth as much damage. And that's where they'll screw it all up, just like with D2.

I hope they find a way to make the combat engrossing for you though, because I'm looking forward to your reports of oddball characters and screwy strategies.

Messages In This Thread
The Auction House III: Evil is Back - by Bolty - 05-29-2012, 02:29 PM
RE: The Auction House III: Evil is Back - by TPJ - 05-29-2012, 03:11 PM
RE: The Auction House III: Evil is Back - by Frag - 05-29-2012, 10:55 PM
RE: The Auction House III: Evil is Back - by ViralSpiral - 05-30-2012, 10:54 PM
RE: The Auction House III: Evil is Back - by Frag - 06-01-2012, 01:38 AM
RE: The Auction House III: Evil is Back - by Frag - 06-02-2012, 01:38 AM
RE: The Auction House III: Evil is Back - by Frag - 06-02-2012, 02:54 PM