Back to Rogue :) Anybody have an opinion about Snobs and Lightning Walls?
For me at least, I definitely favour the shift fire method vs direct target click. For the exact same reasons you outlined.

I don't remember where I learned it exactly. It could very well be from hanging around too many "Variant Scum" players.
(Variant Scum used as a term of endearment.)

But anyway I personally liked this method over direct targeting most of the time. It shoots arrows in straight and predictable lines.

A rough and bad ascii diagram:

X= your rouge coloured rogue
o= the tile area, you can even mark it with dropping coins

o o o
o X o
o o o

So the idea is to click only on those immediate area to move, and shift fire click in the same immediate area. IIRC the benefit is your arrows also flies in a straighter path, and again IIRC. Projectiles that flies in this cardinal direction path travels straighter. And once again IIRC, due to tech issues projectiles that flies kinda askew and not at a cardinal direction straight, don't always hit. (Setting aside for a second your Chance to Hit % and DEX etc etc)

I still use direct targetting method, but it's usually for stragglers or something.

TL;DR:

95% of the time my mouse cursor is only moving at those close cardinal area, both for movement and shift click to fire. 5% is direct target method.

I personally like it because I feel I'm more in control of the arrows paths and I don't have to scramble around with my cursor as much. YMMV.

ps. This was done with wired keyboard mice though. I'm too old skool and stubborn for wireless keyboard and mice.

pps. Disregard if you already know this method and it's more of a technical issue with your wireless setup.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Back to Rogue :) Anybody have an opinion about Snobs and Lightning Walls? - by Hammerskjold - 08-15-2011, 04:41 PM