Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop
I had recently made two accounts, one each on east and west, put a normal character through its paces to kill Diablo in Normal difficulty, and I refresh every few weeks so that when 1.10 comes around, I can make 7 New Hardcore Characters on each account, at which time all of the old ones shall retire.

As I don't cheat, hey hey, nothing happened to me, so I simply don't care about the cheaters who got nailed. Had I lost one due to error, no probs from my end, I was pretty much at the end of the string, now that FoS has killed Baal in Hell, and I have enough characters to play that one or two missing, would be no biggee. Now, if OcchiD'Merc disappeared, along with Occhidiangela, the Assassin Rogue, I would be disappointed, but they are retired anyway. RIP.

I was concerned, however, that one or two of my 'live' characters might have been tainted by some items that. I can only recall 4 that I cannot trace from 'drop seen' to my inventory, or drop seen by a FoS or RBD player I trust to my inventory.

One is a Rockstopper on West HC that an ALE friend, who I trust, gave me after his 10th Meph run of a night landed him a third Rockstopper. I did not see it drop.

One is a Bartuc's that a sorceress gave me in a pubbie right after she ran Meph Hell and popped into town asking "who wants one of these?"

One is a Hellslayer that this same sorc offered up about 4 minutes later after the Hell Baal run she completed in that pubbie.

One is a Sigon's Glove that I traded for 8 chips.

The rest of the stuff I have seen drop, or came from Celtic Hound, Zed, or Hawkmoon, or an RBDer, who I know are purely legit.

So, it seems that my possibly tainted goods were clean too, if that had any bearing on the criterion for banning.

As I have never been tempted to use cheats, I did not worry. I once tried Foxbat's Accelerator on my old PC, but I don't use the PC for D2 anymnore since the graphics card went batty. The new PC is better anyway.

It is nice to see that Isolde advises us that Accelerator is not considered 'evil and pernicious.' :)

As far as MapHack: a tool for pinata busters of the 'instant gratification generation.' Let them stew in their own juices.

As I understood the assault by Blizzard, botting seemed to be a more common theme than client side scripts, but I base this on a bunch of anecdotal snippets from bnet chat and some dii.net.

Insofar as Amazon Basiners and their loud protestations go: those who protest the loudest have, IMO, the most to hide. Most of the Basiners I have interacted with are nice folks, who as fans are as sincere as Lurkers.

And for those who think that Lurkers are closet cheaters, or that some Lurkers are closet cheaters, I will ask any closet cheaters to simply remember where they are, and either stop cheating or leave.

1. Bolty has asked that as a condition of membership here.
2. This game is plenty of fun without cheating.

3. Hound, my dear and noble friend, the Rogue Lightning hose is a FUN bug to screw with! I am sorry, my Paladin Tristan's dear and loving Isolde (Yes Isolde, I picked that rogue just to have 'Tristan and Isolde' for a pair) is just too cool when she lets loose with the Lightning hose every now and again, once I dress her in Silks of the Victor (ordered specially from Blizzard's Secret Leather Catalogue . . .) :P

As a Rogue Advocate, I like to see Rogues Rock The Casbah now and again. However, since I have not messed around with that little rogue/paladin combo for months and months, I will make sure that I never have her show up in any game you grace. :)

So, Bolty, I need a ruling on this: is the Rogue Lightning Hose cheating? Shadow? Blade? Roland? Zara?

Have I let my love of the rogue cloud my judgement? :)

(Or is 'the code the final arbiter, per Sirian's tongue in cheek little rant a while back?)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Roderigo - 04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Thoreandan - 04-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Occhidiangela - 04-09-2003, 09:20 PM