Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop
Hi,

BTW, the ultimate MH prevention server-coding would require the whole screen to be sent to the client as either graphic bitmap or drawing instructions for the area layout on each frame update

There is no need to send any bitmaps over the connection, the client can do all its own graphics. And, since the knowledge of an area is static (once known, it stays known), there isn't any need to resend what has already been sent. The locations of mobs and other players not in line of sight simply is not upgraded. Thus, for things out of sight what is known by the client is simply the old information.

I have not looked at Buzzard's code, so I can only surmise from the effects. But from my experience in writing secure client-server applications I think that Buzzard entrusted entirely too much to the client. In so doing, they generated the worse of all possible worlds: the lack of security of a peer-to-peer system with the lag and performance issues of a client-server. A typical case of half right being all wrong.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Roderigo - 04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Thoreandan - 04-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by --Pete - 04-08-2003, 07:27 PM