Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop
Isolde, thanks for being so honest and open with us. I really appreciate that.

Despite of some very positive things you said, there is one thing that is bugging me: You said that some thing like ith weapons haven't been taken care of, because a decision was made to wait for the big patch. Still, you folks seem to have time enough to create and run a cheat-detection program. I just don't get it. Granted, preventing the newly creation of these items would possibly require client side patch, and you probably decided against that. But scanning through the server-side database to look for duped/hacked items would not require a client side patch, and few people would bother creating new ones when they can expect those to vanish with the next sweep. So how is that different from the hacking detection effort?

Scanning for and deleting dupes, hacked and bugged items should be a serverside action which is probably easier to implement than the recent hack-detection thing. I feel that should be done and could be done with relatively small effort. Please note that though I don't want to start bashing blizzard, my personal opinion is that these things should have happened a long time ago. So if you could give a reason why it wasn't other than "we decided to wait for the patch", or specify this "wait" reason so I could agree, that would be very helpful...

Then take the pindle-botters. When you register at this forum (or at most other free web-based services), there is an image with letters, number or something like this, and you have to type in the content somewhere. This is to avoid registration from automated scripts. It should not be complicated to implement something like this in the game creation screen. in addtion to game name and password, just type in here how many Baals you see on the picture above. This would basicaly lock out all botters, since a human being would have to be there for every game to start. And when you are sitting there, you can do it yourself anyway. This would jsut cost a very little development, and a little download, but would free up so many server resources that it probably pays off real soon. Is that a political "lets wait for the patch" decision as well?

Thanks,

CaLViN

Messages In This Thread
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Roderigo - 04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Thoreandan - 04-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by CaLViN - 04-08-2003, 06:46 PM