Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop
Isolde,Apr 7 2003, 01:52 AM Wrote:Though out of curiosity, which assertions do you get?
Had I thought I would ever have had the opportunity to be asked the question I would have documented more carefully! The first couple assertions I saw I wrote down. I just spent a few minutes looking through stacks of paper, but I could not find one. It has probably been at least a year since I last noted one on paper. Unfortunately I did not write down the one the other night when my barbarian was facing baal. I'm sorry I did not.

My rememberance is that it is not always the same assertion. I also exagerated the frequency when I said every couple weeks. It is more like every month or two, but there have been quite a number.

But this pales in comparison with the problems that happen when my modem drops. I believe my ISP drops the line about every six hours. I sometimes forget how long I've been playing. As much as I would love to be able to blame that on Blizzard, I'm afraid that I cannot. Since I'm making bread at the moment, an analogy from a French book on bread is with a Paris flour company whose main customer complaint was that people ate too much of it.

I will make an effort to record the next assertion message, but this will probably mean I will never see one again.

I understand the difficulty of trapping an exception, but at the point in the code where you have the assertion, you could replace the assertion "assert (n)" with something like "if (n) life/=n else TellServerAndCrash". That way the server could dump one's character from the game immediately.

Again, though, if the server could time out more quickly after a client dropped, assertion failures or other interruptions would be at most a minor nuisance (at least to me), particularly if one could then rejoin one's game.

Thanks, Isolde, for taking the time to solicite feedback. I think I can speak for almost, if not everyone that it is very much appreciated. By the way I have a D2C sorceress on USEast by the name of Brangane. (I don't care what anybody says, this is an RPG!)

Messages In This Thread
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Roderigo - 04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Thoreandan - 04-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by LavCat - 04-07-2003, 04:23 AM