Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop
None of those things were used to determine which accounts to close.

One of the main reasons why we've had so many problems with those sorts of issues was because they were emergency patches to the server due to their being used as a server attack to bring down the entire realm. Thus the fix was often very broad and would be relatively untested. However, we understood that such measures weren't foolproof and no permanent action was taken against the people caught by it. Usually just enough so that the servers could remain operational until the exact problem could be examined more closely.

Also, I should clarify my statement regarding 0% false positives: the method used is itself *extremely* unlikely to fail. That doesn't mean that there couldn't have been some human error involved. Of course nothing is completely certain, and my response was mostly in response to FoxBat's contention that (hmm I forget the exact number but I think it was around 5%) a fairly substantial number of legit people were getting being falsely banned. I'm sorry if that came off as arrogant -- it was sort of a heat of the moment response.

Messages In This Thread
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Isolde - 04-04-2003, 11:04 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Roderigo - 04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Thoreandan - 04-06-2003, 04:15 PM