Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop
Thanks for an honest and civil post. :)

It's true that there would likely be some Basiners that are cheating, though I did think the number I've seen posting (about 15 long-standing members), and the fact that many of their accounts have been trashed, makes me wonder. What you pointed out would be the case among people in that community who had cheated at one point. But there are other possibilities. I don't think Isolde would lie, but considering all the errors that have cropped up in Blizzard's programming, I am not quick to believe that their methods are foolproof, and I don't even know what kind of program is a hack that they are being caught for. I can't get more info from Blizzard since this would allow a workaround to be discovered sooner, I can't get evidence from a basiner lying about their hacking history, nor can I get evidence of "absence of hacking" from a Basiner that hasn't. Isolde has instilled some skepticism towards some Basiners, but he won't be able to remove my skepticism towards Blizzard.

It's not a huge leap to start calling my sort of program a cheat, and in fact several people have. According to Blizzard's recent definition, it is a hack. If Blizzard starting banning people for using it because it behaved too similarly to something they thought malicious, well I'm not exactly going to start calling it a cheat. Maybe I'd have to move from the Lounge then. I'm curious where you get the confidence that a Blizzard ban does in fact mean a deserved ban, but you may have more info than I.

I dunno, I'm probably reading into some of the posts in this thread a sort of "blizzard can do no wrong in it's anti-cheat stance" that may not be there, but it's this possibility of an unthinking acceptance or blind trust, fueled by hatred of cheaters, that bothers me more than anything else.

Messages In This Thread
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by FoxBat - 04-04-2003, 05:10 AM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Roderigo - 04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Thoreandan - 04-06-2003, 04:15 PM