Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop
I'm not sure if you're aware or recall, but Lag Reduction/D2Accelerator can be considered a hack. That is the sense in which I would be considered a "cheater." I had wondered if part of the confusion is whether Basiners may have been using what we might consider "harmless" hacks that behave similarly enough to "harmful" ones, thus the relevance of that. That's a part of why cheating is hardly black and white to me. Not that I really condone botting either, but I prefer to put some thought into making such decisions. Thus much of the post has nothing to do with BnetD, nor did I think anyone would care enough to respond to that portion. You can remove that sentence and the post is mostly intact.

However, I don't know enough whether to trust Isolde's 'no false positive' method, because programmers and systems do make mistakes, or to trust that said long-standing Basiners aren't cheating. Since Blizzard has called Bnetd "pirates" in the past, it raises a caution flag to me as to whether one can blindly accept that everyone they nailed really are cheaters as they claim. If we can't bring previous behavior into a judgement as to the trustworthiness of a source, I'm not sure how we can judge such a thing.

Anyway, the BnetD thing is not intimately related with this one, there's only a loose connection. I think it's there, though maybe not that strongly and not something that needs to be argued at length here.

However, It's hardly a "contamination" as I see it, it is hardly the length and passion that have been seen in countless lurker rants before, it is far less off topic than is commonly done on many threads here, and it was rather unlikely to generate a long discussion. I don't see how such an 'ad hominum' can be fairly justified. Leave the BnetD part alone if you like because it's not that important, or lay out why you think my relation among the two is false, but I don't think you can rationally dismiss the post like that.

Messages In This Thread
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by FoxBat - 04-04-2003, 04:22 AM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Roderigo - 04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Thoreandan - 04-06-2003, 04:15 PM