Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop
I must entirely and completely agree with Bolty in this case.

You cheat, you get cought, take your lumps and learn from your mistakes. You screwed with my game - now I'm happy Blizz is screwing with yours.

Way back when, before I played Diablo 2 I played Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors. Some months after the release of the game there was a hack which permitted you to see all of the opponents villagers, military, and buildings. It was extremely powerful because you could see what they were trying to pull and you could prevent it. The creators of the game, Ensemble Studios, patched the game immediately to prevent the hack from threatening the players of the game too much... Players rejoyced and continued to play! When Age of Mythology was released sometime later it was picked up as quickly as Age of Empires 2 by the lovers of Ensemble. Moral of the story - Fix your games and you'll be rewarded.

Way back when, after a stint with Diablo 2 I played EverQuest (or as it's known to many players, EverCrack). Its an amazing 3d world that was a blast. It was constantly patched, constantly monitored, constantly updated and fixed. People who were arseholes were punished - almost immediately. If you had a problem, the /petition command was there to contact a GM. I was spoiled, the chat was clean - the auctioning was kept in one area, there was a wealth of gameplay and unexplored area, and there were a lot of people just like me. Not only that, but there is an entire server that is dedicated to testing things. There is no support on that server, what happens happens, but it is made up of players who are willing to take the risk and see what happens so they can see the cool new stuff a week before anyone else. In EverQuest, if you do ONE thing that is considered abusive, say the equivilent of trapping a wp, you will be put on a list and possibly suspended for a period of time. Abusive language? Similar treatment. Stealing someone elses drop? The item will be returned to the rightful owner and you WILL be repremanded.

Even if the GM's couldn't do anything to fix something, if that player belonged to a guild (like almost all high level players did) the guild could be very hard on the player. There was a common netiquette, or eqiqueette as you might call it. The players were dedicated to making the world better, and that was what made is so enjoyable.

Blizzard has fumbled the football when it comes to fixing D2x... but it looks like they recovered, and they are gonna run it off of their own goalline in order to make everything right... Kudos Blizz. Kudos.

Baylan
I am Baylan

Hardcore is the way to play!

You'll find me on US-East, on the account name Baylan (for now, I'll add more as I get my accounts up and hardcore-capable).

Messages In This Thread
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Baylan - 04-04-2003, 01:24 AM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Roderigo - 04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Thoreandan - 04-06-2003, 04:15 PM