The Great Race; a proposal for "Khalim" awards
Ruvanal,Sep 12 2003, 09:07 PM Wrote:
CelticHound,Sep 12 2003, 02:33 PM Wrote:Interesting.  The thing I've seen done is to have one "sacrificial" character and have everyone else stay in town.

BTW, is that trick the "Ruvanal sleaze" you keep mentioning so suggestively?

-- CH
I never listed what the trick was that I used. I do know that with the method that i used it is not necessary to have any "sacrificial" characters in the manner that you are referring to. In fact if you did loose any characters in the process in a hardcore game, you would have to consider the whole 'rush' screwed at that point.
Well, CH is referring to Hardcore, and to my allusion that your carry-along sleaze works just fine there, with an additional trick. So I have to contradict you (given your probable misunderstanding of this) to say that yes, dead characters "on site" allow carry-alongs (v1.10s tcp/ip at least), even (especially!) if they are "sacrificial" characters in Hardcore. Since rushing is so effective, one easily creates a wave of never-at-risk carry-alongs in Hardcore, climbing, so to speak, over the dead bodies of their level one sacrificers. Naturally, if you can find a "safe spot" you don't need a sacrifice. But the en masse nature of the carry-along technique means that sacrifices are a fairly small toll tax, and may be more practical than "safe" techniques (which, admittedly, are quite varied in and of themselves).

From my point of view, of course, as a single person running multiple characters on one PC, having to go through a long "switch user" process, I find "on site" death to be much more expedient than safe spots, in most cases. Some situations, of course, like Duriel, don't need an "on site" at all, as you can just talk to Tyriel (note to Ferengi: my list of "watch X die" did not include "watch Duriel die", so yes, many of us are aware of that sleaze. At present few people are probably aware that the new v1.10 interlock on the Summoner is flawed. Details, details).

Ironically some of the "hardest" to finesse quest interlocks are pretty innocuous, like having to break the third prison door or touch the viper temple chest in person (but, of course, Town Portal by the rusher after everything is safe handles those rather simply). Some interlocks can be bypassed in ways that are just silly, as with the earlier observation that a Sorc that hasn't ever given a Malus to Charsi is a good drone to fetch and then hand a Malus to (a) lowbie(s).

Messages In This Thread
The Great Race; a proposal for "Khalim" awards - by Crystalion - 09-12-2003, 11:30 PM