No Multiplayer: HELP!
Quote:The solution: deleting (for good) my online characters. I've decided to start from scratch, legit. The only time the game crashes now is either when a *insert unflattering term here* player crashes me because he finds it amusing, OR when I try to load in illegit weapons in to my character to destroy a PK that has been annoying myself and my playing mates.

Then you're still not playing legitimately. There is zero reason to use such a program. It just proves that you're a bit of a nitwit.

You slay some player who's been harassing you. Player can now restart in town and continue harassing you. Result: Stalemate.

Oh, but that's not the worst of it. You cheated to defeat them. Well, sorry, bucko, but PKing is built into the game. Cheating to get around it cannot be warped into legitimacy by any stretch of the imagination.

And, as my moderator-in-arms Nastie_Bowie already told you, admitting to cheating can get you banned from these boards. I am going to give you a second chance, because you really are trying to go legit. You just don't know what the blazes you're doing. The following behaviors are forms of cheating.

1) Bug Abuse
These "tricks" work because some game routine gets confused and an improper result occurs. Item duplication, for example, generates multiple copies of the same item. The MS Bug avoids stunlock by briefly tricking the game into thinking you're dead. Outright abuse is cheating.

2) Third Party Programs
Trainers are the biggest offenders here. Obvious sorts of things include invulnerability, level/stat editing, item editing, and so on.

Character backup (via your OS or some utility) can also be used to cheat. Restoring because you got yourself killed, e.g., is most certainly cheating. Restoring because some jackass crashed you during item recovery, on the other hand, is understandable.

Mods, activated via executable or DHack, are not cheating because mod characters exist in their own little world. Play mod characters only with other mod characters (those using the same mod, of course) and there's no problem. (Imagine if cheaters gamed only with other cheaters!)

3) Use of Equipment Generated by Third Party Programs
Obviously, it's still cheating even if you didn't make the item.

- - - - - - - - -

Now, if you insist on playing public games, there are plenty of ways to put the hurt on cheaters and griefers without resorting to cheating. Use your noggin' and you can always get the last laugh.

Alternatively, invite your buddies for a round of private games. The cheaters are left to their own devices and you've got the best company in the world. It's win/win.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]

Messages In This Thread
No Multiplayer: HELP! - by Reckoning - 01-02-2004, 08:22 PM
No Multiplayer: HELP! - by Nystul - 01-03-2004, 12:09 AM
No Multiplayer: HELP! - by Reckoning - 01-03-2004, 01:11 AM
No Multiplayer: HELP! - by Attika - 01-03-2004, 04:42 AM
No Multiplayer: HELP! - by Reckoning - 01-03-2004, 06:30 AM
No Multiplayer: HELP! - by Nastie_Bowie - 01-03-2004, 08:18 PM
No Multiplayer: HELP! - by LemmingofGlory - 01-03-2004, 11:26 PM
No Multiplayer: HELP! - by Reckoning - 01-04-2004, 06:28 AM
No Multiplayer: HELP! - by LemmingofGlory - 01-04-2004, 08:40 AM