Mana Shield orb display bug?
I don't know if this is a known bug or not even a bug but a one-time occurence, but I stumbled upon this one while playing with a friend on Battle.net.

We were both playing rogues, bow only, no other equipment (if it matters), and since he was the only one using magic and wanted to conserve his mana for more useful purposes, he let me touch the Magic shrine we found in some level of catacombs. I had died a bit earlier so, having zero mana, I naturally didn't get the golden orb floating above my head.

He DID see it though, and it stayed there... forever. We went down stairs and town portals, so by all things fair I should've lost the mana shield orb. But I didn't. I drank a mana potion to see if it was just me not seeing my mana shield status correctly, but when I got hit my health dropped. So mana shield wasn't active.

We got stair trapped entering caves and, well, died, but the funny thing is, my friend still saw the orb above my corpse. Some time later he dropped from the game and upon rejoining, he no longer saw the golden orb.

As far as I understand client/server architecture, it's all about messages being sent from one to the other. I'm wondering if it could be the case of messages being sent from the person that touches the shrine to other players to inform them that "this player hit a magic shrine, so he now obviously has mana shield active, so display a golden ball above his head until you get another message telling you to stop displaying the ball." And since my client never sent out this disable message to my friend's client (as mana shield was never really active), he always saw the manashield being active until he had to rejoin the game and received the correct data again. How far off am I?
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect

Messages In This Thread
Mana Shield orb display bug? - by Yogi_Baar - 01-24-2004, 11:43 PM
Mana Shield orb display bug? - by Crystalion - 01-25-2004, 01:18 AM
Mana Shield orb display bug? - by Yogi_Baar - 01-25-2004, 08:25 AM
Mana Shield orb display bug? - by Crystalion - 01-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Mana Shield orb display bug? - by Selby - 01-27-2004, 02:58 AM