I'm confused about copyright laws
Sierra On-Line made Kings Quest 1 a LONG time ago. I remember playing it on my Atari ST. Now I see that some other company called Phoenix Freeware is remaking it, AND making King's Quest 9 (www.kq9.org). Now, this is not a clone, but an exact remake with new areas and better graphics and KQ9 uses what I'm sure is a copyright franchise and name title. I read the article first in Gameinformer April 2004 #132 on pagte 122.

I also see how a company High Voltage Software, is going to remake Leisure Suit Larry.

How are these companies doing this legally? Why can't a similar thing be done with Hellfire, such as a diablo 1 compatable, freeware clone? I guess it would be a lot of work, but I just don't understand copyright laws... sigh.

EDIT - saw this at the bottom of Phoenix's site; that must be the answer I'm looking for:

Quote:All original content © 2004 King's Quest IX Development Team. "King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has A Silver Lining" is a work of fan fiction. It is based on the popular King's Quest series, which is wholly Copyright of Sierra Entertainment, Inc. 1979-2004. It is being produced in accordance with the "Fair Use" provision of Section 107 of the United States Code, without the express permission of Sierra Entertainment, Inc. "King's Quest", "Quest for the Crown", "Romancing the Throne", "To Heir is Human", "The Perils of Rosella", "Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder", "Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow", "The Princeless Bride", "Mask of Eternity", characters, and related material are registered trademarks of Sierra Entertainment, Inc. No profits were made in the production of this game. This site is neither sponsored nor endorsed by Sierra Entertainment, Inc. If you experience an error with the site, please contact webmaster@kq9.org and for all general inquiries, contact info@kq9.org.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

Messages In This Thread
I'm confused about copyright laws - by Taem - 05-08-2004, 05:09 PM
I'm confused about copyright laws - by Darcia - 05-08-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm confused about copyright laws - by Nystul - 05-09-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm confused about copyright laws - by ETA - 05-09-2004, 08:34 PM
I'm confused about copyright laws - by Taem - 05-10-2004, 06:28 AM
I'm confused about copyright laws - by Darcia - 05-10-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm confused about copyright laws - by Taem - 05-11-2004, 01:49 AM
I'm confused about copyright laws - by FoxBat - 05-11-2004, 12:49 PM