Mods
For a long time I was strongly against any sort of program that did more than deliver information.

Then I went into an instance, a Lower BRS run, with another Druid, wearing full Wildheart, who relied on a 'botmod', the sort of thing that goes through all potential heals and chooses the rank that best fits the person's current state of health. By the time we were at the trolls, he had died four times, used up twice the amount of water I had, and in general made a fool of himself. I asked him to turn off the mod and secondary heal, and that was the last time he died that run. When I railed about people who use those crutches while waiting for our warrior to get back, a mage from in my guild responded, asking me what the difference was between that and GypsyMod, which gives me the exact numbers of a person's health, something I bragged about earlier that day as helping me heal. It's hard to draw a fair line.

Now I'm a little more open to what other people use, although I will discourage them from using something overly easy-mode unless there are no other alternatives. I doubt I will ever be able to talk my guild's priests out of using CTmod's Decursive-like functionality - they've simply grown to the point they can't really imagine dealing with encounters like Sulfurion or Lucifron or even Flamelords without easy dispelling. I know warriors that rely on complex weapon-switching macros that maximize how much aggro they can create while keeping a shield up for most enemy hits. And I myself introduced a macro into my guild that prevents druids from innervating any avatar that doesn't have a mana supply, although I've yet to use that macro in an instance. All of the Disc priests in my guild run a mod similar to that paladin's, which reacts to queries for Divine Spirit.

I still avoid the more invasive mods, using CT_raidassist, CT_timer, and Gypsymod Unitbars, but I believe other people should have a right to choose if they want to use crutches, although occasionally I'll yell at priests who take Soul Burn off rogues before they get it off me, or a fellow druid who ends up taking Ghennas's Curse off a rogue while it's still on the tank.

My feeling is that Blizzard will (and has in the past, as the lack of 500+ questions shows) remove any particularly destructive functionality from the UI mod system. Anything left while either be acceptable or come with a high enough price that it won't define a healer... hopefully.

Messages In This Thread
Mods - by Zarathustra - 05-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Mods - by Brista - 05-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Mods - by Olon97 - 05-24-2005, 01:23 AM
Mods - by russ - 05-24-2005, 02:05 AM