finding "unfindable" uniques
Hi I'm new around here. I've played Diablo and Hellfire briefly in the past, although never on multiplayer. Recently I returned to playing Diablo 1, this time aiming for a more thorough play that I never did. It's still as enjoyable as I remember it to be if not more. Just days ago I read the Jarulf's Guide, and it really increased my understanding of the game by a whole stretch, although many things are hard for me to understand because I know nothing about programming. However, I also learned many defects of the game that I wouldn't otherwise know, and I wonder if Blizzard could have done a better job fixing those with so many patches they've released for the game (although I noticed that those patches are primarily concerned with crashes and multiplayer). One thing that struck me especially was those "unfindable" unique items in multiplayer that I didn't even know to exist before I read the guide. I used to think I could collect all unique items if I play in SP long enough, and this information casts doubt on that. But I think I still need some clarifications, to make sure I understand it correctly.

I saw the guide's table of "unfindable" uniques in multiplayer. As I understand it, there's this order of priority by which the game decides which unique is dropped if there are several possible uniques of the same base item and of the same qlvl. To me the possibility of finding those "unfindable" uniques is revealed in this sentence in page 34 (from pdf version of guide):

Quote:The same items are findable in single player but only if you find another unique item of the same base item and qlvl first in the same game session.

which is further elaborated by this passage in page 42:

Quote:In single player (but not in multi player) the game keeps track of what unique items have been dropped (or recreated at  game start in a character's inventory)  and if the same item is determined to be dropped again (or regenerated at game start), the next one with the same qlvl or the one with the next lower qlvl will instead be dropped. Thus in single player you can actually find those "unfindable" unique items but you must find at last one other unique item of the same base item first. The game will forget the list of found unique items when you restart a new game however. The list is saved when you save the game in single player but not restored upon load except for those items you have equipped.

Here are my questions:

1. So the game keeps track of what's in my inventory when I create a game, and I get to find the "unfindable" unique if the same item is to be dropped. Or do I? Because the passage also states that the list is forgotten if I create a new game. So will I find the "unfindable" unique, or the same unique I already found and kept in my inventory at game start? Right now I'm guessing I'll find the same unique, because the guide mentions "the same game session," but I'm not sure.

2. Also regarding "the same game session" concept, I believe the explanation for it is at the end of the passage, that the list is not restored upon load unless for the items I put on. But does that mean if I find an unique known to precede the "unfindable" ones, and I put it on, then I don't lose the chance of finding the "unfindable" in a different game session? i.e. I equip the unique, and I save the game, quit, and load the game when I come back to play later, that I can still find the "unfindable" unique?

Messages In This Thread
finding "unfindable" uniques - by plnloe - 06-18-2005, 01:25 PM
finding "unfindable" uniques - by Toverkol - 06-18-2005, 01:49 PM
finding "unfindable" uniques - by Cytrex - 06-18-2005, 06:38 PM
finding "unfindable" uniques - by Jarulf - 06-20-2005, 09:17 AM
finding "unfindable" uniques - by plnloe - 06-21-2005, 04:00 PM
finding "unfindable" uniques - by LemmingofGlory - 06-22-2005, 02:32 PM
finding "unfindable" uniques - by Scrape - 06-22-2005, 08:38 PM
finding "unfindable" uniques - by plnloe - 06-23-2005, 12:49 AM
finding "unfindable" uniques - by plnloe - 06-23-2005, 09:12 PM
finding "unfindable" uniques - by Jarulf - 06-27-2005, 08:55 AM
finding "unfindable" uniques - by danifilth - 06-27-2005, 09:00 AM