Quote taken from the Blizz AV Tips page
I never really got the Arcane Explosion suicide run thing. Sure, I could do a bit of damage. But unless I've got a couple of friends AoEing right beside me then it just doesn't seem to accomplish much.

I always found it more effective to get close enough that I could target a ranged AoE on a pretty good collection of the enemy zerg-mass, but still far enough away that I can only be targetted by fire mages or hunters. Then drop flamestrikes on the enemy until either I run out of mana or get low enough to make a quick turn and blink back. With PoM and Burning Soul I could usually get three or four flamestrikes off before either dropping or retreating. And when hitting for as much as six, seven, eight hundred damage upfront (with crits--pretty common with Improved Flamestrike), more for ignite, and more the added DoT, it really tends to scatter the enemy.

It becomes less effective if I use it a lot, though. People tend to shrug off a bit of AoE, but when you're persistent about it, and far enough away that shutting you down is a problem, then dropping 2,000+ damage on the enemy front lines tends to make 'em take notice. It was the funniest moment of my last week-long AV stint, when, after maybe two hours of pounding on the enemies, every time I stepped out of the zerg and started casting I'd take two aimed shots, a fireball, a shadow bolt, an ambush, and an intercept/mortal strike combo. It was awesome.

(Note that this is the experience of pickup AV against pickup AV. With coordinated support the AE-kamikaze can be EXTREMELY effective. And my ranged bombardment would either get silenced whether I was far away or not, or just outmaneuvered, leaving me bombarding an empty spot while the enemy raid charged in my face.)

Messages In This Thread
Quote taken from the Blizz AV Tips page - by Bob the Beholder - 09-03-2005, 04:43 PM