Oh, that melee/ranged divide! Monk struggling Hell.
Static heals from everything (Transcendence, blaze, serenity, and potion) means you need mitigation more than health.
Resists make life a lot easier. I am still act 1 hell, but 250 resists, dual wield, lower DPS and 11k health I'm doing fine (hardcore). With mantra and enchantress I think I'm around 57% reduction from armor, 40% from resists, and about 37% dodge. DPS is on the low side, around 2k, because my weapons are still lvl 46.

Also, I prefer the added attack speed and Life on Hit from dual wielding compared to a shield. Weapons can have a lot of life on hit. I'm using two that I found in nightmare that each have over 100 life on hit and damage. They were both nice surprises, with decent DPS, socket, a little DEX and BIG life on hit. Was fun to get good drops. I'm probably due for an upgrade before Act 2, but am planning on farming to 60 before leaving Act I anyway. I'm sure something will pop up for me.

I'm using this right now:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/mo...YXU!ZbbZaa

Deadly reach + Tempest rush + 80% slow is a pretty reliable way to kite / kill dangerous stuff. I did leave a pack of fast / molten / fire chains that was near a tomb entrance and I had no kiting room.

The other nice thing about deadly reach, is that it pierces everything. Waller walls, real walls, etc... it just opens up a lot of defensive positioning possibilities, offers excellent kiting options and keeps time on target high. I would highly recommend getting used to using a move key if you want to use it though, it's very easy to want to move, but click a monster instead.

I can't imagine using a non-elective mode build. Having the heal + serenity is something I can't imagine being without.
I also really like Blinding as a reliable interrupt, but then you need to give up a mobility skill or a large chunk of DPS in the Mystic Ally.
I liked air ally when getting the <1 hour act speeds in normal, but in hell, I prefer fire. More useful on the harder targets. Plus if I get to a good spot for deadly reach, I can re-summon and he does a deadly reach type attack too.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Oh, that melee/ranged divide! Monk struggling Hell. - by Concillian - 06-26-2012, 07:53 PM