Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee
You know, looking at the champ abilities I'm seeing here, with the exception of the idiotic invulnerable minions, a lot of these abilities are the type seen in the original Roguelike games from which Diablo originally hatched. Diablo was actually going to be basically a graphical Roguelike, originally. Turn-based and everything. Its current incarnation arose because at some point, someone turned off the "pause between turns" function, making the game real-time, and liked what they saw. But the game wasn't developed for real-time originally, and from what I've seen of 2 and 3, maybe that's why D1 was so much more tactical - because it was designed for turn-based play at first, so tactics were built into the play from the first, with the adrenaline-pumping constant movement added later.

It shows, too, because a lot of the same Roguelike tactics (doorway jams, et cetera), worked well in D1. The series being what it is now - famed for fast-paced gameplay and phat lewt, I don't think it could return to its Roguelike roots, but I wonder if several of us wouldn't be happier with a game that did. I wonder if there's a market for turn-based strategy/fantasy combat. I imagine the closest thing we have is games like Final Fantasy Tactics. That did do well, though, as I recall. Although it probably had a lot, lot more text than some old Rogue players would like. Heh.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee - by ViralSpiral - 05-31-2012, 10:25 AM