Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee
(05-31-2012, 05:15 AM)Sirian Wrote: That MIGHT be for the best if they gave us back D1 style health potions and let the player burn through healing (limited healing, like the D1 belt, but much less limited than D3 is now) when these crazy boss mobs use their new tricks to prevent ranged toons from maintaining distance gaps.

I passed on your previous comments about unlimited potions, because I really didn't think you wanted to go there. I thought that maybe you just wanted to reduce the cooldown to 20 seconds or something, but if you seriously think that nearly unlimited potions is a good idea, then I have to disagree with you. That's a foolish mechanic that makes only "spike" damage dangerous. Did you know that poison damage actually caused more damage in D2 than other forms of magic damage? But why was poison resistance such an afterthought for most players? Because you could always healing potion through it. Potion cooldowns are a good mechanic. The idea of health globes that you have to move to and strategically use is also a good mechanic. Blizzard made the right choices in this regard.

(05-31-2012, 05:15 AM)Sirian Wrote: RedRadical's point about ranged having it just as bad seems valid. Vortex or Teleport, Jailer or Knockback, Fast or Shielded. Most of the D3-new boss abilities they've added seem aimed at defeating the Ember-style gameplay of just maintain distance, you can burn through anything eventually if they can never corner you.

Exactly -- this was another very good choice on Blizzard's part in that they made the game more exciting. What you didn't mention was that Blizzard also gave players defensive skills to counter those abilities. I personally use Diamond Skin and Teleport to counter them. Other possibilities include Frost Nova and various other stuns and slows that Wizards can have if they choose to equip them. Other classes have their defensive abilities as well. So, yes, Ember and many of my special D2 characters would get devasted with the new fight mechanics, but I take that as a sign that Blizzard has learned from the past.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee - by MongoJerry - 05-31-2012, 05:34 AM