Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee
Quote:I don't need to see Inferno difficulty to know that melee isn't viable there, because it isn't viable in Hell. The class is viable, but it's viable as a CC master. Monk has to be the same, as they have no more ability than barbarians to take a hit. Monks have more self-heal power, but overall I think they're in the same boat. CC or die.
I just got through playing a very offense oriented monk through hell:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/mo...UYg!aZcYba

I used very little hard CC (stuns, knockbacks, etc). I did have soft CC in the form of crippling wave + concussion (snare, attack speed and damage debuff, interrupt) but mostly I relied on positioning (thunderclap's teleport helps here), mitigation, and self-heals. Gear was by far the biggest factor in getting through it. I had an extremely difficult time with boss packs in Act I until I swapped to the "one with everything" passive and stacked a single resist. This did require me to go AH shopping--if I had to rely on dropped/crafted loot it would have taken me much/much longer.

I have to agree with Bolty. In Hell you should rely on mitigation and heals. The barb is a little worse off than the monk in that his heals are less flexible but potentially very powerful. So get revenge, stack resists and vit (for more revenge healing), and put the rest into offense.

I don't know how melee will fare in inferno. All reports so far point to "not well". It may be that melee will just be broken unless you rely on buying AH gear one or two acts ahead of where you are. Which really sucks, but maybe if we scream loud enough Blizzard will do something.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee - by Athenau - 05-31-2012, 01:12 AM