Minion-based soloing builds are useless in Hell difficulty
Yeah, my biggest WD complaint is that going petless means I have several skills (Soul Harvest, Hex, Mass Confusion) which are just about or entirely useless against act end bosses and reduced effects on any enemy that actually matters. Yeah, I can switch skillsets (and do) but later on that means avoiding act bosses altogether because changing skills = losing NV stacks. Yeah, I know, I'm not "supposed" to do act boss runs because that's not the way Big Brother wants me to play, but I personally think Diablo is the most enjoyable fight in the game.

Sure, the first form is basically a jobber, but the second and third forms have varied and interesting attacks, and the fight is difficult but so far doable for everything I've run past him. He's also probably one of the few fights specifically stacked against ranged characters (his melee is awful and he knows it - he'll back up to use his ranged attacks) and thus makes me relish the fight all the more. For as cliched as fighting clones of yourself is in game, I think it works well here - Diablo himself will be easier the more overgeared you are, but you run the risk of pasting yourself horribly in phase two. In D2 where you could have rejoined the fight at that point, it wouldn't have mattered, but for fighting him solo where screwing up means starting the whole fight over...that's a pretty serious threat.

(Still, I'd much prefer to be able to run some kind of pet build. Much as I enjoy the other WD skills, almost all of it is stuff I can do in other classes. Keeping a zoo would be nice. Hell, playing a Zoomancer in an ARPG was a large D2 selling point for me.)
Finally satisfied that this, in fact, a game in the Diablo series.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Minion-based soloing builds are useless in Hell difficulty - by ViralSpiral - 07-07-2012, 06:49 PM