Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop
I wondered why, after D2 had been out for years and is past its first flush of popularity, Buzzard found a conscience. Sort of reminds me of the measures that they suddenly discovered were necessary to clean up b.net channels (and, "incidentally", drove many D1 players away).

This makes the 2nd big change that I missed. (I have an excuse this time, I was playing BG2.) I fired up D2 to make sure my accounts were still there. They are, with all their items. Like I would've cared if all my accounts vaporated. I agree with Walkiry--as long as the people who really deserved deletion and banning got hammered, I don't mind a light tap.

I found a LOT of whiners and complainers and arguers in pubby channels, no surprise there. But GeeFrazier could fart on the Battle.net forums and there'd be a bunch of people in pubby channels arguing about size, distance, velocity, stench factor, etc., so saying that people are whining and complaining and arguing in pubby channels is redundant.

Trading is much, much more safe. I popped into a few trading channels, and lo and behold, not an obvious hack in sight. Sure, there were some people selling their souls for them, but what could they purchase them with? The D2 economy just got a much needed shakeup. I'm still going to traffic more in crafted items when trading, but it's nice to know that the pair of Silkweaves I'm trading for won't disappear or cause me to lose my account.

Since the (mythical?) 1.10 patch was going to give all the non-cheaters a "clean" place to play, why the big sudden need for these measures?

I counted 20 item-selling sites on a casual Google search. 3 were shut down by their free hosting. (See what happens when you go against Geocities' ToS? :D) The rest of them have hiked prices, and 7 are closing down their stores because they don't want to lose their accounts. Item prices have nearly doubled on eBay, but nobody's buying. Betcha can't guess why. :D Methinks this is the real reason why Blizzard finally read their ToS and decided to follow it.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.

Messages In This Thread
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Count Duckula - 04-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Roderigo - 04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Thoreandan - 04-06-2003, 04:15 PM