Interesting rumor about Venom from Bnet
Grim,

I love a good argument. Discussion is another thing entirely. But argument -- ah, that's the fruit that makes the juice.

I'd be happy to Lounge hop a bit. I should spend more time there. We're awfully lucky to have been put up in such an interesting community, here. And one overseen by an awfully judicious host. ;)

Of course there's no hard feelings, but I'll still join you for a drink. And the chess. If you'll excuse my inverting an old cliché, a good game is rather like a good argument, I think. Though I used to play, but still argue.

Pardon one last thought about the duties of language: If I bristle at being told what to say and how to say it, it's because I'm an avowed proponent of the free exchange of ideas. No holds barred, all ideas welcome, everyone brings something to the party conversation. I respect this community enormously, and Bolty's decisions -- by all means -- as well. But I have ridiculously vehement opinions about communication and idea sharing (and in general, too!), and it's rare that I walk away from a challenge on those grounds.

That said, I'm happy to censor expletives. Not because I think people's eggshell exteriors are too precious to be pierced by a word, or that people, in general, don't need a wake-up call -- because they do. No, I'm happy to avoid them because desensitizing them is to castrate them. You pull the horns off the bull and nobody fears being gored. Leave them on, and you you're really saying something when you let him loose in the streets.

Looking forward to our next one, Grim.
:)

Ignatz

edit: Lord, give me the strength to type accurately, and the wisdom to actually spell.
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Interesting rumor about Venom from Bnet - by Bob - 08-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Interesting rumor about Venom from Bnet - by Ignatz - 08-08-2003, 04:28 AM