The Great Race; a proposal for "Khalim" awards
MadScientist,Oct 2 2003, 01:08 PM Wrote:About the "rushing to level 8": Could you do in cascades?
[snip]
Do you think that could work even faster?
Alas, no.

As Walkiry has demonstrated convincingly and from my own experience, even *solo* GR to clvl 8 (unassisted) the real time factor comes down to travel and damage application times. Your example would indeed level faster due to Players N, but would lose out in net xp speed gain by having only one game's worth of monsters (i.e. Players N doesn't, unlike the -seed pic Bolty has up, increase monster *density* and thus having more players locally killing worsens the "critical path" which is the movement and killing logistics--to make this density divide clear: it is far far easier to quickly hit clvl 8 in Players 1 with -seed than Players 8 without -seed no matter what assistance or twink or technique you use--yes, I'm assuming your PC is beefy enough to not lock up from the mob lag :blink: ).

However, in a game like Everquest your idea has great merit (although EQ has very comparatively little motivation, ala D2x's quest rewards, for producing a mass production stream of leveling newbies).

Even in D2x your "mentor" idea still has merit, if you apply it in the limited hand-me-down sense to a hard-to-put-together set of uber-newbie twink gear (I have my current "3rd generation thinking" list scribbled out, and once I test it out I'll post it here for comment). It might be rather "easy" for a small group to put together the gear and then timeshare it.

IIRC the lounge did a shared account experiment once? I've just read through the end-user license agreement and while I see that you're at greater risk for being banned (the shared account only) it looks like sharing an account isn't by itself a violation. Since I have access to a couple of unused D2x CD-keys it is very tempting to have an inner cloister of Lurkers (man oh man that takes so much longer to type than "LLers", but I wouldn't want to abuse the lingo, eh?) toying around with one of them collectively once v1.10 is released. Clearly "sharing" useful twink items into this account from our regular accounts would be a great deal of fun and would save on wear and tear for our personal mules. It's a thought.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits

Messages In This Thread
The Great Race; a proposal for "Khalim" awards - by Crystalion - 10-02-2003, 09:38 PM