Priest Concern Summary
Quark,Dec 16 2005, 04:35 PM Wrote:I'd like to see this "master of crowd control" quote people keep talking about.  Priests were stripped of their CC for a reason.

It's either a misquote or it went out in something like the fansite pack; it crops up enough times in google for me to think it's a template, but you're right, it's not what it says any longer at least on the priest's class page on the website.

However, it does say "The Priest class is the master of healing and hate control. Other classes such as the Shaman, Druid, and Paladin can heal, but not as well as the Priest".

I think you'd find at best equally as many priests who disagreed with that last sentence as agreed with it, but focussing on the hate control bit for a second, re: our original instant Mind Soothe spell:

Quote:Riiight ... so any 5man can avoid every fight in an instance once again.

No, that's just silly. I believe mind soothe was changed to only work on humanoids to help prevent that. I can't see why it shouldn't be an instant cast, which would enable us to cast it on the run.

I may be getting confused between "suggested improvements" and "past behaviour", but I also thought - as per the name of the skill - that mind soothe reduced the aggro the priest had on the targeted mob, which would fit in with the 'master of... hate control' class role. Fade certainly isn't hate control mastery; it's only a temporary reduction in threat.

Quote:Your AoE fear may not be that reliable, but neither is any other escape mechanism in the game.  Vanish gets removed/dotted, CC gets broken by trinkets/damage, Sprint gets slowed, Feign Death is just /laughed at ...

AoE fear in PvE is situational at best; you're just so likely to pull adds that it's not worthwhile using. Just because no other escape mechanism is reliable is no reason that priests shouldn't have a reliable one, though; we lack the ability to stand up to the damage, even in our tough cookie Inner Fire mode.

Feign Death is actually useful/annoying as it causes whoever is targeting the hunter to lose their target, not to mention let the hunter lay traps etc.

Quote:The only non-self heal in the game that's instant is a Nature Swiftness modified druid heal.  There's absolutly no good that could come out of a regularly instant heal.

That's not what I was talking about, though. I was talking about spells. Priests can do damage too, you know. We have no instantly damaging spells. SW:Pain and mind flay both take time to tick (and if you've ever been trying to tag mobs before a moonfiring druid, you'll know how long that is). Shadow priests are often derogatively referred to as shadow mages, yet mages have many instant-cast (and snaring in some cases, but that's a different argument) spells. We have none; they're either "short cast, long cooldown" or "long cast, no cooldown (and not castable in shadowform)". The only thing that comes close to an instant cast spell is channeled, so can't be used on the move.

Quote:Players (and I think monsters) all have 0 holy resist.  There's no such thing as holy resist in the fact that you can't raise it, I believe.  So lvl differences (and a pure spell resist i.e "miss") are the only reductions possible.
[right][snapback]97283[/snapback][/right]

Well, yes. But I didn't say that wasn't true, just that monsters could partially resist it :)
You don't know what you're talking about.

Messages In This Thread
Priest Concern Summary - by Bolty - 12-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Priest Concern Summary - by Xanthix - 12-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Priest Concern Summary - by Sword_of_Doom - 12-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Priest Concern Summary - by Professor Frink - 12-16-2005, 03:32 AM
Priest Concern Summary - by MongoJerry - 12-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Priest Concern Summary - by lfd - 12-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Priest Concern Summary - by lfd - 12-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Priest Concern Summary - by Sword_of_Doom - 12-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Priest Concern Summary - by Kevin - 12-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Priest Concern Summary - by Quark - 12-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Priest Concern Summary - by Lissa - 12-16-2005, 04:29 PM