So, is it worth it?
Count Duckula,Dec 3 2005, 04:48 PM Wrote:So, in order to play this game together on Bnet or realms or whatever, we'd both need a copy on our own computers, and we'd need to pay the $15 each. However, I have school and work, and Kas has work, though he spends non-work hours playing videogames anyway.

So is it worth it? Can I count on being around friends? I remember Roland's D2 server and how I got to play with Doc and Occhi and the gang every day. Do the Lurkers have their own space within WoW that's safe from normal gamer hazards?
[right][snapback]96206[/snapback][/right]
If I had to describe WoW in one sentence, I'd say: "WoW is a visually and acoustically brilliant fantasy MMO with a lot character and atmosphere, and on the other hand much fluff as far as quests and story goes".

So what you get is a typical, addicting Blizzard game with the finest (comic-style) fantasy graphics and gameplay (interface and player interaction) I've seen so far. On the downside we have a game that can hardly be described as solo-player friendly unless you think that grinding of wilderness creatures and easy mobs for i.e. faction reputations is your thing. True solo-player content in the form of interesting (and rewarding) solo quests or quest lines is more or less non-existant with the exception of the first ten levels of your character's lives, where Blizzard obviously made an effort to suck you into the game as quick as possible.
WoW starts to get a lot more interesting (and rewarding) with groups of five people and more when you can go into the (elite) instances with far better drops than the usual world drops. Since you seem to play as a couple of two people you have a much better stance as far as the easier world quests goes, but you will definitely need to group with other people if you want the better stuff of what the whole game is about: items and even more items.

I personally have played the game mostly solo so far because I like to be solo underway. Therfore I've focused on the best solo classes in WoW, and this is my recommendation for solo players, or small groups of two or three people:

1.) If having fun is your primary goal, then play a Warlock. The Warlock is in my opinion the most fun class to play with all his pets, utilities and powerful spells that rival even that of the Mage, at least in combat versus one or two targets. Crushing monsters pairs using your pet, Soul Fire, Death Coil and Shadowburn with all their stunning visuals and sound effects is just pure fun, especially when you know how long it usually takes for other classes to bring down two or three monsters at once.

2.) If playing WoW "fast forward" is your thing, then play a Rogue. The Rogue is the last (solo) class I've started to play because I first thought that fiddling with all the quick ninja-style stealth and non-stealthed combo point skills is not my case, but I was wrong. The Rogue is THE damage king in WoW, at least versus single or two targets, he is much fun to play, and the stealth mode allows you to get solo to places where other classes (with the exception of the Druid in cat form) cannot get to.

3.) If playing (the probably) best allround-class is your case, then play a Druid. The Druid can tank, stealth and heal. He is not a master in these respective areas like the Warrior, Rogue and Priest, but he can do everything quite well, and the synergy of these three basic abilities is what makes the Druid so much fun to play, especially for solo players or in groups of two.

Which race or faction you choose is a matter of personal taste. I personally am leaning towards the "underdogs" from the Horde, the Undead. This race has in my opinion the most appealing and atmospheric home areas (Tirisfal Glades, Silverpine Forest) and cities/outposts (Brill, Ruins of Lordaeron, Undercity, The Sepulcher), and the funniest, self-ironic characters and quests in the game.

As far as PvP goes, here's my general advice: If you don't like to be attacked or unpleasantly surprised when you are not in the mood to battle other players, then don't play on PvP or RP-PvP servers. I have made a test ride on a PvP server and have come to the conclusion that it's not necessary to spice up my gameplay (always watch your back etc). When I want PvP, I go into the battlegrounds and play with friends against the other faction. Since WoW is balanced for group PvP, and hardly for 1 vs. 1 PvP, RP or PvE servers are the best option if you want to enjoy both PvE and PvP without unpleasant surprises.

This are some things I can think off the top of my hat. I personally would buy WoW again, and if I should ever be forced to pause with the game for a year or more, I'd certainly come back and restart again - again with an Undead Warlock on a RP (PvE) server :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller

Messages In This Thread
So, is it worth it? - by Count Duckula - 12-03-2005, 04:48 PM
So, is it worth it? - by kandrathe - 12-03-2005, 05:13 PM
So, is it worth it? - by Roland - 12-03-2005, 05:19 PM
So, is it worth it? - by RTM - 12-03-2005, 07:41 PM
So, is it worth it? - by LavCat - 12-03-2005, 08:31 PM
So, is it worth it? - by Quark - 12-03-2005, 11:13 PM
So, is it worth it? - by NotSoDarklord - 12-04-2005, 11:50 AM
So, is it worth it? - by Sabra - 12-04-2005, 01:39 PM
So, is it worth it? - by Roland - 12-04-2005, 06:33 PM
So, is it worth it? - by Drasca - 12-04-2005, 09:01 PM
So, is it worth it? - by LochnarITB - 12-05-2005, 12:16 AM