Avarice Alliance - "Off Days" for raiding
Gnollguy,Nov 16 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:OK here's the thing and I know after some of my comments this is going to sound like I'm taking a different stance.  If you don't want to raid because you are raiding to much then don't raid.  This would be a lot easier if we consistently got say 50 people signed up so that people could volunteer out of raids.  Yes I realize that I've griped about people not making raids it looks like they can make but that specifically seems to be raids where they know that chances of loot dropping are just about zero.
Of course, there are other times when I realize that it's not as bad as my housemate who was part of a "hardcore raiding guild" that did all of Molten Core in a single night and then spent the rest of the week running Blackwing Lair. It's hard to go out to dinner when you want to because you can't go without him because he'll complain otherwise. :)

I also can't normally make a decent number of the Thursday runs because of other commitments.

So... there are times I think I'm spending too much time raiding -- and other times I realize that it's not that bad. I don't expect to be changing my times anytime soon.

Gnollguy,Nov 16 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:Yes I realize it is your time and that there are other goals but we need people on the non loot raids almost more than we need them on loot raids.

I agree. It is imperative that we master Ragnaros and Razorgore. And Vael after Razorgore and so on. Even if it means wiping n thousand times, even if it means costing a ransom in repairs, we have to master those encounters. We have to push the envelope or else we'll fall into a rut of just doing things we know we can do.

Gnollguy,Nov 16 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:I'm confident, given the right class balance aside that we could do all our "first night" bosses in MC with just 30 people.  Shazz would be significantly tougher (but I  think Shazz is one of the hardest boss fights in MC now), but Luci, Mags, Gehennas, Garr (if we have the locks), and Geddon should pose no major problems to a 30 man balanced raid.

With the right party makeup and the right gear, I think Shazzrah would be doable with thirty people.

Gnollguy,Nov 16 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:I think we still need 35 at least for Onyxia because she has gotten much harder to control in the Phase 2 to 3 transition, much harder to get initial aggro on and much harder to get her move to an ideal spot so we lose more people.

I've noticed that the tanks seem to have more issues with controlling Onyxia since 1.8 came out. I think that this won't be as much an issue once the aggro strategy is worked out fully. (Then again, what do I know? My designated role is healbot. :) )

Gnollguy,Nov 16 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:I also realize the pressure to go to raids to get more points so you don't "fall behind" but I can tell you that it isn't that big a deal.  Remember I have 3 toons that are raiding so it basically is like I am 3 people that raid once a week as far as points go.  I'll still get my loots when I want them.  Darian misses raids frequently as well and it hasn't seemed to hurt him really either.

I've never been big on the loot. It is admittedly nice but it's not the reason I'm there.

Gnollguy,Nov 16 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:Now yes I realize that if you want to do a 5 man and everyone else is in the raid you can't.  But remember the off day basically means 3 days one week, 2 day the next week, 3 days the next week, 2 days the next week.  So it's not really much less raiding than we are doing now.  Every other week we raid 2 nights instead of 3 as that off day cycles through Monday, Thursday, Saturday. 

Yeah, the inability to do 5-mans or other smaller raids is a recurring complaint within the Basin. Too many of the high level people are committed to the raids so they can' get guild-only runs to do x instance.

Gnollguy,Nov 16 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:So I guess my leaning is to still do an event that takes a large number of people over doing smaller things if for no other reason than the Sat only or Thurs only, or Monday only people would be down to 3 nights a month if that day has no big raid.  And while there are really only about 10 people in that boat, that's enough for me to be concerned about it.
Yeah, that's a good point. I'm not really sure what to suggest there, at least until we get far enough into BWL to justify spending two days on it.
Gnollguy,Nov 16 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:As for thorium brotherhood rep.  Gnolack is also grinding to revered and eventually exhalted.  I think I need 1880 more Dark Iron ore (or equivalent mats) to to revered so I'm only 620 ore into the grind.
I think I'm about 280 or so into mine. However, since Phaedra's Human, she doesn't have quite as far to go either. (I think it's only 2190 as opposed to 2400.)
Gnollguy,Nov 16 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:While I can mine the ore myself attempts to do so have been pretty poor.  Without an epic mount I'm at a horrible disadvantage to the farmers in Burning Steppes and over the last 2 weeks there have been at least 5 of them there at pretty much all hours of the day when I have checked.
Have you checked Searing Gorge too? There's the possibility of spawns there too. (When I was farming Incendosaur scales for the initial chunk of TB rep, there was a DIO node in there too.)
Gnollguy,Nov 16 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:It may in fact be faster to farm gold and buy the ore or what not than to try and find and mine ore for it yourself.  Yes I realize that I just said it might be faster to farm 2400 gold than to farm 2400 dark iron ore.  My last 4 sets of 2 hours of grinding for ore yielded 32 dark iron ore.  So yep I'm at 32 ore per 8 hours or 4 ore an hour right now.  Ore is actually less than 1 gold per ore usually.  Even I can grind more than 1 gold an hour.
[right][snapback]95053[/snapback][/right]
The going rate for Dark Iron Ore can be from 65s to 1g per ore, averaging around 75s or 80s. I tend to buy nothing higher than 75s per since I know that there will be stacks put up for auction for less.

DIO is the most gold-efficient way to raise TB rep right now. It's 7g50s or so for 50 rep. Against that, Blood of the Mountain is around 50g for 200. The gold per rep cost for MC stuff is insane.

Depending on drops, I can make from 2g to 7g an hour farming furbolgs. Once I hit Friendly with Timbermaw, I think I'm going to go to WPL or EPL. The undead drop more Runecloth than the furbies and I can turn Rnecloth into enchanting bits I can sell on the AH.

But I think TB rep is a little off topic here. :)

Messages In This Thread
Avarice Alliance - "Off Days" for raiding - by Soraia - 11-16-2005, 07:34 PM