Tightskates and Cheapwads
ShadowHM,Oct 14 2005, 08:46 AM Wrote:Hi

I find my best defence against the corporations is simply not buying things.  I don't need to upgrade my still-functional whatever-it-is until it is actually not functioning.  We tend to try to repair ourselves things that are not functioning anymore.  The new-fangled whatsis that is a hot seller today will doubtless have a cheaper/more effective upgrade in a couple of years, and I can decide then whether I *need* it.    The consumerism in our society is a curse.

On food items:  I do tend to ignore those ubiquitous coupon packs that arrive on my doorstep.  Most of the time, they are for items that I don't need anyway.  Further, a drive to the place where they are offered can use up any savings in the product purchase price with gas and parking costs.  If you can walk to the stores that offer these coupons, then it is worthwhile.

I shop at bulk stores for food.  Purchasing by the case lot generally makes the unit price as low as the (limited volume) coupon prices.  The store I use has a yearly fee attached, but also has a rebate based on annual purchase totals, and I always get a rebate that more than pays for the annual fee.    This works for me because I do have to feed six of us, and I have found a way to store the stuff until I use it.    This also prevents impulse purchasing of things I don't really need.

We buy most of our meat from a farmer.  He keeps one calf aside from his 'usual' feeding regimen so that it gets no growth hormones or antibiotics in the feed.  This ends up costing us less than regular grocery store prices and more than sale prices, but the main benefit is the absence of those ubiquitous additional elements (although the quality is high too - no meat from over-the-hill dairy cows can compare with yearling Limousin).   

For things that are not part of the food budget:  I am a fan of quality over quantity.  For example, a cheap pair of socks or shoes will wear out fast and hurt your feet; I would rather buy better quality ones and have fewer pairs. 

I broke down and bought a digital camera this spring.  It was on sale because it was the 'wrong' size and colour.  :blink:  It had all the features I wanted.  Who cares what colour a camera is?  And it was still smaller than the one I was replacing.  Who needs a credit card sized camera?

I care not whether I am wearing the latest in designs, as long as I am comfortable.  This can create problems at one end - by the time the favourite clothing item has worn out, it can be very hard to find a replacement, due to the ephemeral nature of that industry.  (*wails*  Where are the Viyella shirts of yesteryear?  I can't find them anymore.)    I keep tabs on certain stores that I know have deep discount policies on 'out of season' clothing.  A quick cruise past the sales rack there can snag me a coat/blouse/trousers/shirt at 25% of original retail price although there is no advertised sale.

And, lastly, services cost an arm and a leg.  Why pay someone else to do things for you when you can do them yourself or live without them?  Phone services come to mind - basic telephone service is dirt cheap.  Call waiting, caller ID, call forwarding services all can add up fast.    Lawn care is another money sucking industry, based on our fears that we won't look good.  So is the beauty industry - a good haircut costs $15 but I know many women (and men) who somehow need to colour/tint/curl/straighten their locks for a guaranteed $100 every six weeks.  Don't let me get started on the costs of skin care products - suffice it to say that cleanliness is a sufficient base for good skin, no matter how much age has added to your wrinkles.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]92075[/snapback][/right]

Shadow, don't take this the wrong way or anything, but in another time, another place, I could have fallen in love with you. :wub:

A thrifty woman is more valuable than rubies.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."

Messages In This Thread
Tightskates and Cheapwads - by Count Duckula - 10-14-2005, 02:50 AM
Tightskates and Cheapwads - by Occhidiangela - 10-14-2005, 03:16 AM
Tightskates and Cheapwads - by jahcs - 10-14-2005, 05:19 AM
Tightskates and Cheapwads - by Doc - 10-14-2005, 05:58 AM
Tightskates and Cheapwads - by Dako-ta - 10-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Tightskates and Cheapwads - by Doc - 10-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Tightskates and Cheapwads - by ShadowHM - 10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Tightskates and Cheapwads - by Doc - 10-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Tightskates and Cheapwads - by ShadowHM - 10-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Tightskates and Cheapwads - by kandrathe - 10-14-2005, 03:32 PM