PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs
oldmandennis,Oct 9 2005, 11:47 AM Wrote:I'm just not sure what part of casual progression through pvp is not addressed by BG faction rewards.  I can't find anywhere it says casual players should be able to progress themselves through honor.  If you don't like BG's then you have a problem with the basic design of the pvp aspect of the game, I don't know what to say other then give guild wars a shot maybe?  Granted BG's need a couple of tweaks like going cross server so anyone can get into any map in a reasonable amount of time, and maybe some sort of ranking system to stop pugs from getting repeatedly annhilated by pro teams.  I'm actually interested in your response.
[right][snapback]91414[/snapback][/right]

Hehe Dennis, I'll admit that my discontent with the honor system is probably my fault. I had quite high expectations for the honor system and set my goals accordingly, and it's just unfortunate that those goals were a little unrealistic. My bitterness (and I am bitter, but it's getting better - this has been quite cathartic :D ) stems from the fact that I couldn't reach my goals.

As for not liking BGs. Well, that's not entirely true. I do like them. I like the team work, and the friends that I've met playing in them. I've certainly had some great times in them. (There's definately something very satisfying about making a really good flag run, and being a part of the horde's first AV win on my server was a huge buzz.) But there are somethings that I miss from world PvP. (Mentioned them in my second post.) I understand that I'm being a little nostalgic: world pvp was very, very rarely as good as I remember it. But there was definately a joy to it at times that I don't really see in BGs, maybe because it's hidden under all the testosterone and aggro. ;) (Hehe, I remember one time an unnamed warlock screaming over vent at people "Don't PvP!!!!!!!!" But that was one out of the box, I've met a lot of really relaxed, chilled people who are great fun to play with.)

In regards to reputation rewards: thank God for Arathi Basin. :D For a druid the rep rewards from WSG are pretty crappy, and certainly not really worth shooting for. There's some pretty nice AV stuff, but mostly if you're going pretty hard at feral. Unfortunately, AV's a pretty rare beast on my server, but getting that rep up is still something I want to do. Luckily the rep rewards from AB are definately a goal worth shooting for. They're very nice indeed.

At the end of the day, I'm just bitter that I can't achieve the goals I set myself, and it's going to take a while to turn that around and accept more realistic goals in terms of character progression. I still think, however, that having a system where a player can just hit a glass ceiling is inviting a loss of business. Fair enough to have a ladder system, but it's something of a shock when you suddenly, and almost inexplicably, stop progressing from one week to the next. (In my case I managed to get almost a full "bar" to get to Blood Guard one week - thank you irregular work hours :D - and the next week played a comparable amount and made no progress what-so-ever. :( ) Perhaps a system where you don't stop progressing, you just starting going really, really, really slowly. The wall is still effectively in place, but the shock value of hitting it isn't as great. :)

PS. I think that the pro-group vs PuG issue is very real and going to become more and more of a problem in BGs as more raid content is released. I seriously hope that blizzard is trying to think of some solution to this. Perhaps a split ladder system like you suggested would work, but there seem to be a lot of design problems in something like that. I can't think of anything else that might work off the top of my head though. :D
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink

Messages In This Thread
PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs - by Hedon - 10-05-2005, 06:21 AM
PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs - by Watto44 - 10-05-2005, 01:14 PM
PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs - by oldmandennis - 10-05-2005, 05:50 PM
PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs - by oldmandennis - 10-06-2005, 05:23 PM
PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs - by Roland - 10-06-2005, 11:15 PM
PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs - by TheLuminaire - 10-06-2005, 11:26 PM
PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs - by Hedon - 10-07-2005, 06:54 AM
PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs - by Roland - 10-07-2005, 08:06 PM
PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs - by oldmandennis - 10-07-2005, 09:27 PM
PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs - by savaughn - 10-07-2005, 09:29 PM
PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs - by TheWesson - 10-07-2005, 10:12 PM