Priests. Why we are so ..umm.. difficult.
Darian,May 5 2005, 07:27 PM Wrote:The relationship between myself and my priests is this: they look at my health, and I look at their health and mana.  I don't pay attention to my own health (unless the priest is out of mana); healing me isn't my job, so I don't give a damn what my health looks like.  Keeping the priest from dying is my primary job, so I need to know if he's taking damage.  Keeping the party on track is my secondary job, and making sure the priest has the juice to heal us is part of that job -- and I can't do it without looking at mana.  So don't even charge that it's "proven" that non-casters don't read mana bars.  There's at least three priests right here who can tell you otherwise.
[right][snapback]76368[/snapback][/right]

Quite true, and one of the reasons I enjoyed playing my warrior. When you're in mid battle and the rest of the party is relying solely on you to lock all of the enemies down for better apart-ripping, and you get really into it... it brings up something of a tunnel vision. Nothing exists but your rage, the mobs, and the healer, and how you control the three. It's something of an exhilirating effect.

When I first started tanking through instances with my warrior on Gorefiend, once I really got the basic motions of tanking down... I remember the one wipe in the run where I first started tanking... decently.

I had the mobs locked down, and, luckily, had a cooperative group who, thankfully, left me to worry about aggro, while they took my advice and focus-fired each mob to take them down as fast as possible. (And it helped that this was the first time I'd ran with a good healer who I would go on to party with for... well, until now, and likely in the future) But there was an unexpected add, which aggroed on the priest, so I broke off and ran for it... but I didn't even notice the amount of damage I'd been taking through the battle. I had maybe five mobs locked to me the whole time, and just the few seconds with the healer too busy to keep me going were too long, and before I realized what was going on, I was lying on the ground.

It was a shock, being so fragile as that after soaking up half a dungeon's worth of punishment without pause. (This was, of course, compounded by the part where it was a low level instance, we were all slightly underlevelled for it anyway, and I was running around in grey and white equipment which provided little to no solo lasting power.)

Well, that was a long and rambly way of getting to the point, but here it is: A skilled healer is well appreciated, if you're lucky enough to find the ones who can recognize the skill involved. But in the same way, no priest should forget the importance of the parts played by the other players.

Messages In This Thread
Priests. Why we are so ..umm.. difficult. - by Bob the Beholder - 05-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Priests. Why we are so ..umm.. difficult. - by savaughn - 05-06-2005, 05:27 PM