Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW?
KiloVictor,Apr 28 2005, 12:04 PM Wrote:I'm sure that Infernal and Doomguard will fit into this model, I just don't think that the players yet understand where they fit.
[right][snapback]75565[/snapback][/right]

The infernal is a shock-trooper. Timed right, and with a little luck, he'll stun the enemies he's summoned (hint, launched) on top of for 2 seconds, then start whacking immediately. He breaks ranks, and causes enemies to lose their nerve--especially when there isn't another warlock around to banish. He's immune to fear. May be immune to stun... not sure. Either way, he scares the <insert expletive here> out of enemies, and their whole party will stop to attack it.

Last time I summoned him, I immediately sent him to attack an enemy dwarf priest whose party generally soaked damage. . . and ran quickly northward to ogrimmar gates. I actually lost control of the infernal, but by then the alliance were committed to attacking him... and I actually lost aggro! Aha! They kept on attacking the infernal after I lost control of it. No way for them to know, except that it was no longer attacking the original target and start heading toward me. It is battle chaos, and infernal aoe keeps hurting everyone. There was no way I was going to walk out there to reenslave. Uh uh. No way. No how! That's no-man's land. . . I lost control and expected to be killed by the infernal... instead... Aha I lost aggro to the alliance! Hilarious!

The doomguard however... My god. He's a beast! Cripple reduces movement to 30% for 20 seconds, attack and casting time down to 60%... and a 30 sec cooldown! That's effectively 2/3 of the battle, plus its autocast! Manual if you want but still. Cast that on a priest, and use the delicious dispel magic ability with no cooldown on the doomguard. End-game warlock demons truly strike fear in the hearts of your enemies. They're used so rarely but, that only adds to the mystery.

Played well, the warlocks are among the best duelists around. Fight and defeat any class. However some talent builds are better for solo 1v1 fighting, and others for group fighting. My build is for group combat and melee surviveability. Some will have intensely more instant damage options, some better crits, some better shadow bolts, some shard dependent... which is painful. However, I am proud to say I can consistently defeat mages, rogues and match par for well equipped warriors. Well equipped warriors who attack for 800-1k damage take some lucky nightfalls, or a death coil / fel domination cooldown to assure victory though. I must admit their newfound weapons are painful to absorb.

Shadow priests... that depends on the priest. I haven't fought good ones in a while. The rest... die.

Warlocks are simply gods... with many an achilles heel.

Messages In This Thread
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 04-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 04-27-2005, 02:10 AM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 04-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 04-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by Drasca - 04-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 04-29-2005, 09:13 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 05-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 05-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 05-17-2005, 07:53 PM