Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW?
Drasca,Apr 26 2005, 03:40 PM Wrote:If you want to fight end-game, play a mage. If you want to heal, play a priest. If you want to be a masochist, play a warlock.
[right][snapback]75315[/snapback][/right]

FWIW, another way to look at it would be by playstyle. My impression is that each has advantages and disadvantages, in keeping with the rock-paper-scissors style of the game:

Mage == lots of big damage, followed by downtime while you reload
Priest == steady grind, almost never drinking, but lacking big damage
Warlock == lots of juggling, but able to solo PvE with ease

I have a mage in the low 30s. I love being able to open up on a target and drop it in a hurry, but I hate sitting and watching my character drink. I love being able to port back to the cities and keep my hearthstone bound at whatever town I'm questing from, but I'm not wild about the cost. I'm a big fan of poly and the other escape tricks I have, but I hate when something gets resisted and I wind up dying in short order. It's definitely a "sprint" feeling character, at least the way mine's developing.

My shadow priest is 60. I never have problems getting a group for instances, but I hate being spammed by random /tells when people need a healer. I enjoyed the solo play from 40-60, but there were spots in the earlier levels that got a bit tedious -- if I were doing that over, I'd go pure shadow 'til 40 to alleviate that. I find playing my priest makes me appreciate Spirit Tap, and really miss the mage's ability to move around the world.

My warlock is 53 now, and feels surprisingly overpowered compared to lvl 40 (at 40, I got so fed up with him that I parked him and ran my priest from 30-60). I love the fact that he can take an elite add 2 levels above him while questing in Un'Goro and still walk out smiling, but I hate the fact that I wind up so dependent on fear as part of my regular playstyle. I find that between managing a pet and 2, possibly 3 mobs, he can be pretty frenetic to play, but the upside is that he's got lots of tricks (change pets, change weapons, equip firestones, etc.), so you can shange styles for a while if you want.

At lvl 60, you'll find all these classes in demand, so getting parties should be easy. It's really about finding the one that fits, and then developing it to suit you.

Best thing I can think of is to try 'em all. :)

Kv

PS - Respec early, respec often! :) I found my warlock a creature of tedium until I went for respec #4. Slight changes to the skill map can make an incredible difference.

Messages In This Thread
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 04-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 04-27-2005, 02:10 AM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 04-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 04-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by KiloVictor - 04-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 04-29-2005, 09:13 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 05-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 05-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Is the (Shadow)Priest the better Mage in WOW? - by savaughn - 05-17-2005, 07:53 PM