One hand giveth
Quark,Apr 13 2005, 11:33 PM Wrote:Latest Test Server News:

So Blizzard fixed a "bug" in Ambush and Backstab where Attack Power wasn't being used in the % bonus.  Whether or not this was an actual bug, or just them changing the rules to make Daggers better, we'll never know.

Instant cries of "too powerful!" came out from cloth wearers, and probably correctly.  Here is blizzard's response:
My response:  :huh:

Let me get this straight.  Dagger isn't currently viable versus Swords.  If you ask me, the real problem is Backstab versus Sinister Strike.  I'm a dagger rogue and I use SS.  Why?  More combo points, and I can't afford Improved Backstab if I want Improved Sap.  Any rogue missing Improved Sap is not an instance rogue.  Blizzard responds by buffing Backstab and Ambush, when Ambush didn't really need it to begin with.  So to counteract the buff to Ambush, they kill the syngery of talents.

I deliberately chose Lethality and Improved Ambush together.  Most other Ambush rogues chose these two talents for the synergy they have.  So why would you, instead of changing ambush, change the great synergy two talents had?  Blizzard sounds like it's trying hard to balance this, but I just think they're doing it the wrong way.

In other news, Blizzard today officially acknowledged that Rogues exist.  They're still adamant that Vanish works, however, so don't get your hopes up of actually relying on it anytime soon.  We'll see if anything comes of this discussion.  I think it'd be particularly nice if Wound Poison weren't worthless ...
[right][snapback]73846[/snapback][/right]

My rogue (damagewise) is powerful enough as it is right now, so the test realm buffs were perhaps a bit too much, but as you say, if the problem lies in Ambush, then why not nerf Ambush instead of Lethality. Talent tree synergy is so nice, breaking it for balance seems dumb when you can achieve it in other ways.

I spent the last hour or so grinding a bit in the Hatecrest cavern on the Isle of Dread. It was a thing of beauty, killing nags in a few seconds, moving on to the next, killing that in a few seconds, all while barely losing any hp. A bandage after 5-6 nagas. Guaranteed crit on the ambush, halving their hp, with a few SSs and an Eviscerate to finish them off. Damn. Never felt quite so powerful.

Messages In This Thread
One hand giveth - by Quark - 04-13-2005, 09:33 PM
One hand giveth - by Treesh - 04-13-2005, 09:45 PM
One hand giveth - by Phoenix - 04-13-2005, 11:52 PM
One hand giveth - by Guest - 04-14-2005, 12:05 AM
One hand giveth - by Quark - 04-14-2005, 12:18 AM
One hand giveth - by Guest - 04-14-2005, 12:22 AM
One hand giveth - by stabby - 04-14-2005, 02:35 AM
One hand giveth - by Quark - 06-01-2005, 03:06 PM
One hand giveth - by Raelynn - 06-01-2005, 08:44 PM