Canada, you're allowed to exist on this continent
kandrathe,Dec 10 2004, 09:10 AM Wrote:We have a lot of dog sledding and curling in Minnesota as well. 

On the other hand, those two are political hacks and media whores who capitalize on sensationalism to keep there "opinions" in the public spotlight.  No different than say Al Sharpton, or Jesse Jackson.  These are people who make a living selling their "spew".
[right][snapback]62492[/snapback][/right]

You see, Canadians.... We've already taken over Minnesota and Alaska. Alberta could be next!

I don't think your comparisons are quite accurate. Jesse Jackson, warped though his views may seem to most of us, is a serious politician with a great deal of influence. He rarely says things he doesn't mean, his political groups do serious lobbying in Washington, and he spearheads protests and lawsuits to back up his beliefs.

These two are more in the business of infotainment than politics. Ann Coulter can only be compared to Michael Moore. Tucker Carlson... maybe Al Franken?

The bottom line is that almost none of these comments were meant to be taken seriously (although Coulter is *always* in this mode, so it is slightly possible that she is, in fact, completely serious and certifiably insane). There are serious undertones to the comments, and I can understand if Canadians resent being told how lucky they are to have the U.S. as a neighbor. But the thing that bothers me a little bit is that the website Dee linked does not appear to be aimed at a Canadian or American audience, all context of the comments is removed (google "Carolyn Parrish"), and that this will serve as anti-American propaganda in places where people don't have a clue about the Can-Am relationship.

Messages In This Thread
Canada, you're allowed to exist on this continent - by Nystul - 12-10-2004, 07:20 PM