What can change the nature of a man?
I don't think there was ever a better story/plot in a computer game than in Torment.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Although, what avatar is that you're using, Bolt?

I had Annah with me up until I found Vhailor, at which point she was replaced by Vhailor.

I didn't take Vhailor (pumped him for info and then convinced him that there were more dead criminals than living ones -- Truly an interesting end to the conversation). By that time, I had a good number of melee fighters (Morte and Dak'kon, and TNO and Annah could melee in a pinch) and I liked my party makeup.

In hindsight, Annah may have been excess baggage, as her rogue abilities really weren't needed that often (besides Pick Pocket, which came in extremely handy when I kept running out of copper) and her ability to train TNO as a Thief (theif? argh) wasn't all that necessary either. But she's just... Necessary. Annah is Annah.

That, and I didn't know there was a powerful Thief weapon like the Mark of the Savant.

Man, that blew me away when I found it. I was bummed for the longest because I lost all of Annah's equipment in Rubikon (forget to pick it up after resurrecting her, dangit) and it got eaten in a reformat. For the longest time she had to use the Punch Daggers of Shar (1-4 Peircing, +1 THAC0, 35% Magic Resistance), which really cut into her combat effectiveness.

Dak'kon is good as a Fighter, but not too good as a Mage (he was basically limited to using Shield, Power of One, and Greater Embalming), but his background more than makes up for it.

I used Dak'kon more as a mage, go figure. Reign of Anger is great, and so is Black Barbed Curse, Elysium's Tears, Ax of Torment, Cone of Cold... Man, Torment has some great spells. My only gripe is that so many of the high-level spells are only available once; since my TNO was a Mage Dak'kon never got to learn Mechanus' Cannon or Acid Storm or Abyssal Fury...

Nordom was kept because of his incredible combat ability (I found Optix, a "cursed" artifact scope for Nordom, while tramping through the Rubikon Maze, which increased his combat effectiveness tenfold), and because he's unbearably cool.

Yeah, Optix makes Nordom a critting machine. It was rare not to see the blue gear crit indicator at least 3 times a fight for me, heh. And Nordom is unbearably cool.

She indeed adds a certain flavor to the storyline, but her being a Ta'nari makes certain NPCs go berserk (here's a hint: "Feh!").

Hey, I thought Fhjull was a cool guy! Although I agree with the curative bit. Other than Spiritual Hammer, Prayer, and Heal, she wasn't exactly necessary. Although I never did figure out what her "Kiss" ability did -- didn't seem to do a thing to friend or foe.

My Nameless One finished rather low level because I... uh... forgot a certain something .... I hate trying to avoid spoilers while still having a decent discussion

Heh, yeah, that "certain something" was worth 7 levels all at once for me...

And the TRUE answer is that NOTHING can change the nature of a man. Watch the ending video. He changed how he acted, but he still had to live with his nature. The point can, of course, be argued endlessly however

I disagree. I think many things can change the nature of a man. For me, it was Regret. For Artega, it was Belief. However, the nature of a man is irrelevant when it comes time to suffer the consequences of his actions. The Good Incarnation as much as says this in the Fortress.

I'm going to have to play through Torment again. Just not... right now.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]

Messages In This Thread
What can change the nature of a man? - by Bolty - 04-04-2003, 11:58 PM
What can change the nature of a man? - by Kharohz - 04-05-2003, 03:03 AM
What can change the nature of a man? - by Artega - 04-05-2003, 03:35 AM
What can change the nature of a man? - by WarLocke - 04-05-2003, 05:43 PM
What can change the nature of a man? - by Bolty - 04-05-2003, 06:12 PM
What can change the nature of a man? - by Artega - 04-05-2003, 09:27 PM
What can change the nature of a man? - by Quark - 04-06-2003, 03:04 AM
What can change the nature of a man? - by Dani - 04-06-2003, 03:08 AM
What can change the nature of a man? - by DralaFi - 04-09-2003, 06:16 PM
What can change the nature of a man? - by DralaFi - 04-10-2003, 01:54 AM