Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3)
I think I've made the most headway in Doom 3, excepting Archon and LegitMaan, who seemed to get it a day or two before me. I just recently restored power to the Delta Labs, and so have seen a large portion of the game, and seen pretty much every old Doom favorite except the Hellknight, Cyberdemon, and Archvile. I've also acquired every weapon except the lovely BFG 9000 (which Swan's bodyguard wields - I would assume that I have to kill him to get it.)

People that are getting (or downloading, you dirty pirates, you) Doom 3 and expecting an incredible well-thought-out plot and one hundred hours of gameplay are looking at the wrong game. Doom 3 lasts an expected 30 hours (it's taken me about 17 hours to reach the Delta Labs, which I think is about 60%-70% through the game), and the AI, while not stupid isn't ground-breaking. Much of the battles can be won by simply triggering the enemy, ducking around the nearest corner, and either pumping a shell into them at point-blank or butchering them with the Chainsaw (which is, IMO, the best weapon in the game, short-range notwithstanding.) Long-range battles are easily handled with the Machinegun or Plasma Rifle, Rockets can be used with reckless abandon if you feel like feeding that annoying Revenant some of its own medicine, Hand Grenades can be lobbed around corners for fun, and the Chaingun butchers just about anything at pretty much any range. The BFG, of course, redefines "wallpaper" - fire into a room and observe the new red paintjob. The Pistol is an excellent solution for long-range zombie-killing, the smaller Spider Demons, Lost Souls, and those freaky baby-flies.

Nystul is correct in mentioning sound - wearing headphones or using 5.1-or-better speakers is an absolute must. Playing in the dark isn't required, but given how dark the game is, it's hard to play during daylight hours due to glare (plus it's just not as fun.)

For people wanting more than four players in multiplayer, there's a small 1.6MB mod that allows up to 32, though this will completely wreck id's intended multiplayer style. There are also mods available that tape the flashlight to various weapons for people that don't want to be without a weapon at all times.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.

Messages In This Thread
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by ldw - 08-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Artega - 08-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-09-2004, 04:48 AM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-13-2004, 01:00 AM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-19-2004, 06:38 PM