I haven't seen the SOJ counter in a while...
Sure thing.

The trick works best if you have two computers, but I suppose it will work with one. In my experience, a game on a battle.net server can last for well over 12 hours, if it doesn't "crash". You ever play in a game for a while, then for no reason you get "Connection Interrupted" and then that character can't join a game for 5 minutes? That's what I like to call a "crash". Probably some bug in the server software somewhere. Anyway, that has nothing to do with the trick.

Ok, so, the anti-idle trick works under these conditions:
1. A computer is running Diablo II in a window (using the -w command line parameter)
2. There is desktop real-estate outside of the window; a sliver of the desktop is visible.
3. You are in a town where there is a place you can make the character endlessly run. I will explain more later.

The trick is a combination of quirks. First, the windows quirk: you click the left mouse button to make the character run. Hold the left mouse button and drag the mouse off-screen (to the desktop). Release the mouse button when NOT over the Diablo II window. When you move the mouse back to the Diablo II window, you will notice that the left-mouse release event was never processed, so the character follows the mouse cursor without you having to actually click the mouse. Voila, infinite run (infinite left-click). This is extremely useful for long battles where you don't need to drink many potions. I use this trick all the time against bosses such as Diablo, Baal, and if I ever meet him, the DXP Pro.

The second quirk involves the terrain and Diablo II's literal pathfinding. When in the infinite run state, you move the cursor around to any "L" shaped locations. The best place is right above the stash in act 1. This carat ( ^ ) shaped terrain allows you to anti-idle. It's very tricky to get him to do it right, but what you want to happen is have the character run back and fourth in that little ^ shape. I wish I had some decent web hosting so I could post a picture... What happens is, you move the mouse to the close to the character, almost on top of him, but still in front of him, and in the direction of the tip of the ^. He will chase the cursor, but at one point when walking into the ^, the cursor is poiting to the other side of the ^. He will then turn around and run to that spot. But as soon as he turns, the cursor is again pointing back at the other side of the ^. He turns around again, etc., giving you and endless loop of running in place, hence the anti-idle.

I'm sorry if it's not that clear, but I can't really post any pictures right now. I'll see what I can do about getting some screenshots on the web to show this in detail. I think I'll go get some of that 1and1.com if they're still offering free hosting...

And about what I said earlier regarding the multiple computers: it's best to have more than one computer in a game, as single player games are dropped, or "crashed", more often than those with more than one.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*

Messages In This Thread
I haven't seen the SOJ counter in a while... - by JustAGuy - 02-16-2004, 05:23 AM