Soul Calibur 2
I love Soul Calibur 2. I don't think I've played it to death yet, but I've played it enough that I don't have any urge to play any more... But that's probably because my competition is no where to be found.

I beat the weapon master mode three times now; it's nice, but there's something lacking. I don't want to say it was too short, but I think it just might have been. An experienced player can tear through weapon master without much difficulty, or at least my friend and I both did.

As with all fighting games, V.S. battle is where the real meat of the game lies. The problem for me is that I don't have any competition except for one extremely good player -- he is married with a child, so he doesn't come around that often.

When you have good competition, Soul Calibur 2 is fantastic. My friend and I were constantly trying to change our styles, because as soon as we figured out what it was that we were winning with, we'd counter each other. There were times when we would deflect, deflect, deflect, grab - grab break... It's hectic, but exhilirating. Taki (him) vs Maxi (me) matches have always been the super enjoyable for us. Sometimes I switch it up with Spawn (who is surprisingly very good in his simplicity) or Mitsirugi, but Maxi is my main man. He has so many stance changes that I've still got a lot to learn in regards to chaining combos.

Maxi is definitely my favourite fighting style, and since I've been fighting Taki so much, she is one of my least favourite. Luckily, I can beat most Taki opponents silly now that I've played against her so much. That's the thing with SC2; you play enough that you can tell what they're going to do by the intial animations. That's also the problem with Necrid, as most of his animations are too fast. Some would say he's overpowered to the point where he's broken, but I wouldn't go that far. As far as unbalanced elements of the game go, two weapons come to mind: Taki's ultimate (Kris Naga?) and Talim's ultimate. Taki's weapon has no drawbacks to it, and it does massive damage. Same with Talim's; no drawbacks + ridiculous range. Talim with range... Ugh, hurts my stomach to think of it. My friend and I don't play with any special weapons, only the defaults, baby.

I haven't played Link, but from what I read, he's basically an enhanced Cassandra with a projectile. I own the Xbox version and play Spawn. He's pretty simplistic, but good nonetheless. I just love catching an opponent off guard with that cheap fireball he has. It's unblockable if you charge it.

The only really bad thing about SC2 is the lack of competition. I'm not nearly dedicated enough to go to any tournaments or anything, so facing good competition is a rare occurrence for me. That's where the addition of online play would have really beefed up this game's replayability. I still play the occasional Capcom Vs SNK 2 online just because I can; lord knows, no one else will play it with me, except for the fellas online. If SC2 had online play, I'd probably be playing it right at this moment!
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*

Messages In This Thread
Soul Calibur 2 - by diegoforlan - 11-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Soul Calibur 2 - by MonTy - 11-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Soul Calibur 2 - by WarLocke - 11-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Soul Calibur 2 - by BobThePumpkin - 11-03-2003, 01:29 AM
Soul Calibur 2 - by aurikan - 11-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Soul Calibur 2 - by JustAGuy - 11-03-2003, 05:14 AM
Soul Calibur 2 - by Artega - 11-06-2003, 03:25 AM
Soul Calibur 2 - by aurikan - 11-06-2003, 11:44 PM