Homeworld 2 appreciation thread
Quote: That's the whole point! What's the point in rebuilding your forces to their fullest and only then going to the next mission?

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I have no problem with the rushing from a storyline point-of-view (as it does make sense), but it grates from a purely gameplay perspective.

The great thing about Homeworld was that, although it was an RTS at heart, you didn't have to stoop to the iconic "build a horde of units and toss them at the enemy, send replacements in as necessary" gameplay model other RTSes use (see Warcraft, Starcraft, C&C, etc.). You certainly could play it that way (with creative rationing of RUs), but you didn't have to. You could just as easily sit back, decide what mix of forces you needed, and then come up with however a complex plan-of-battle that you needed.

The impression I'm getting about HW2 is that that style of play is no longer really viable. Start a mission; BAM, you're under seige by opfor. You start pumping out units to win a battle of attrition, and finish the mission with a ragtag fleet. Without giving you time to replace losses or even reassign strike groups, you're jumped into the next mission, where - BAM - you're under seige again.

Maybe the information I'm getting is exaggerated. But it sounds to me like HW2 lays much more like a "main stream" RTS, which would rob it of much of the uniqueness and charm that is its' inheritance.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]

Messages In This Thread
Homeworld 2 appreciation thread - by WarLocke - 09-26-2003, 04:29 AM
Homeworld 2 appreciation thread - by WarLocke - 10-01-2003, 11:37 PM
Homeworld 2 appreciation thread - by Guest - 10-02-2003, 06:38 PM
Homeworld 2 appreciation thread - by WarLocke - 10-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Homeworld 2 appreciation thread - by TaiDaishar - 10-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Homeworld 2 appreciation thread - by WarLocke - 10-04-2003, 03:53 AM
Homeworld 2 appreciation thread - by TaiDaishar - 10-06-2003, 09:11 AM