Class Specific Crafting
adeyke,Sep 14 2003, 03:52 PM Wrote:I do think that a +skills, dual-leech, cannot be frozen, resist ring would be rather overpowered.
You know, I agree that a +skills, dual-leech, cannot be frozen, resist ring would be a bit over-powered, but the chances of getting one are so low, that it's not a bad idea to allow us to TRY and get it. Especially considering that when I was crafting these "uber rings" back in the 1.08 days, I was practically the only one. No one else, to my knowledege, even bothered. I even wrote a forum post about the wonders of class-crafting back in the old Lurker Lounge forum. It was met with luke-warm reception, if I recall correctly. When I was trading for Hel runes, people kept asking me why -- when I told them, they just sort of gave me the old, "uh, alright. Have fun with that."

Concerning the roll; at best you have a 33% chance of getting +1 paladin skills on the ring using the aforementioned formula. That requires a fairly high level rune (Io). If you don't use Io, you get only a 10% chance. So, at best, 1 in 3 tries of crafting, you'll get +1 Paladin skills. As far as I can tell, all mods are available to the craft, so there's a wide variety of mods that could show up; chances of getting dual leech are slim. Dual leech with prismatic, or one high resist is also very slim. The only thing that is guaranteed is the "cannot be frozen", and that's worth my Io and Hel runes. If I rolled a "cannot be frozen" and no other useful mods, I'd still wear it. Anything other than the "cannot be frozen" is just gravy for a Paladin.

Crafting at least gives us the chance to obtain an "uber" ring despite one's poor luck when it comes to monster drops. We don't have to rely on a rare ring drop (how often do you get rare rings, anyway?), unique ring drop, or unique/rare gamble, to be able to wear a useful ring. As an alternative, you can collect a bunch of runes, keep the crappy jewels you find, toss in a crappy ring (gamble it if you need one), and craft away. You'll eventually get something very useful, but not necessarily "uber". It's a nice bit of variety in gameplay and item collecting. The fact that I had a dual-leech, +1 Paladin ring with my 1.08 Paladin was the result of many, many, many, I'm talking MANY, cubes. I traded practically everything I had for a bunch of Hel runes just for the chance of a +1 life steal ring; when I actually got dual leech, I almost soiled myself.

Anyway, the point is that it actually isn't overpowering and unbalancing since the chances of getting something ultra-powerful are very slim. The chances of getting something useful, on the other hand, are quite good. I'd definitely equip a "cannot be frozen", +light radius ring, so long as my other ring had something a little more useful for my Paladin.

I think I just regret not exporting that ring from the realm to open, so I could wear it during the beta test (all my accounts expired a long time ago).

~JustAGuy
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*

Messages In This Thread
Class Specific Crafting - by JustAGuy - 09-14-2003, 07:12 AM
Class Specific Crafting - by Guest - 09-14-2003, 02:36 PM
Class Specific Crafting - by adeyke - 09-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Class Specific Crafting - by Guest - 09-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Class Specific Crafting - by Zath - 09-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Class Specific Crafting - by JustAGuy - 09-14-2003, 11:17 PM
Class Specific Crafting - by Ruvanal - 09-15-2003, 04:04 AM