Victory or Death
Ah, I figured somebody would find fault with that quote.

In these times, very few people are passionate about their causes. In the right way.

Look for example, at Ghandi. He was willing to die for what he believed in, starving himself, and refining passive resistance. MLK was another man who was more then willing to die for his cause, and yet so full of life.

Today, in these times, I don't find many folks who have enough backbone to really devote themselves to a cause. This halfassed parcipitation I see about me bothers me frankly. Not saying anything about the younger generation, as there are a few good souls about, but not nearly enough.

As for being dead, well, Occhi, I find it very boring. I have been dead several times now, and can remember nothing, mayhap I did not go anywhere for the short times I lay there dead?

As for my quote, I stick by it. Death need not always be sudden, but look at Mother Theresa. She spent her whole life in the dedication of serving others, and died, and Princess Die got most of the attention. To devote your whole life to a cause, right up to your own death is what it means to die humbly. The real meaning, is of course, is in the intent to sacrifice, how much is something worth to you, and are you willing to pay a pound of flesh for it? America was founded on this as a principle, as Democracy needs the sacrifice of many lives to preserve it's path. In wars, civil protest, in labour, and paying taxes. I would venture to say that what makes America so great is that so many have bleed for what ever causes have arose, there has never been a shortage of folk willing to give a little or give all for the sake of the cause.

Can anybody say that their devotion to something, anything, is so great that they would die for it? Or would you rather be a coward? Before you answer this, how many of you are family men, or women for that matter? Still think that quote is crap? Spend each day breaking your back dying by degrees to put bread on the table? How many have died in the defense of their family, and their family's freedom, either at home, or abroad, at war? Occhi, you are a devoted serviceman and a family man. Your militart code dictates a lifetime of devotion, to defend against all threats, internal and external, even if it means your life correct? To anybody who has sworn such a promise, does that not mean the chance of having to die bravely, or humbly for the greater good? And for what? Whatever afterlife you believe in is beside the point, in that last moment of life you can depart knowing that you did the right thing.

Life is a grand and wonderful thing. Death is even greater. It is often not how we live, but how we die. Death is our one chance to say something and have it mean something. We only get to do it once (Well most of us) and so making it count is what matters. Do you die alone, hated, despised, and forgotten? Do you die as Joe Shmoe The Average Guy? Or do you die well loved, missed, and remembered for your service to others, your dedications to humanity, or the good positive things you have done in your lifetime? I have spent a great deal of time with terminally ill children. They face death better then most adults, striving to make the most out of life, but even more out of death. Many of them make their death mean something, or set something in motion. The legacy of what they leave behind is often greater then most adults who muddle through their whole life doing nothing. In dying in whatever form, and doing their best to make it mean something, drawing attention to various cancers, or other diseases, not dying humbly for a cause? Would you be craven enough to belittle that by saying dying for a cause is somehow stupid or an outdated concept? How we die is just as important as how we live. And I can only hope and pray that when I finally get around to kicking the bucket, that my death will serve as much purpose as my life has.

Living is important, we need live bodies to do the work, but to die in a way that inspires your fellow man to keep that work going is important as well.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."

Messages In This Thread
Victory or Death - by Occhidiangela - 08-21-2003, 02:41 PM
Victory or Death - by Doc - 08-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Victory or Death - by Occhidiangela - 08-21-2003, 08:46 PM
Victory or Death - by Jester - 08-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Victory or Death - by Occhidiangela - 08-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Victory or Death - by Doc - 08-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Victory or Death - by TaiDaishar - 08-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Victory or Death - by Gonaad the Barbarian - 08-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Victory or Death - by Occhidiangela - 08-22-2003, 08:10 PM
Victory or Death - by whyBish - 08-23-2003, 06:54 AM